Looking for a good accounting and invoice software program for Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, May 21, 2012.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I am looking for a good Apple software accounting program for a small home based business. I have a feeling that QuickBooks may be overkill? Not too sure. I sell products so I would need something to design invoices to send out and to keep track of invoices paid and not paid. Any suggestions. I want something that has a very good interface, easy to use, and has nice looking invoice templates where I can add my logo, etc.

I would prefer to get some accounting software from a REPUTABLE software company that has a good track record and has been thoroughly tested. Not something that is a fly by night product that has just been developed (released).

I have used FirstEdge by MYOB in the past and they were a good product but were discontinued.

Any suggestions would be helpful!!

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Quickbooks.

Maybe overkill, but it is simple and will do exactly what you need.

3. Errors macrumors newbie

We use Billings and Billings Pro for invoicing and tracking basics, which serves our purpose well. It's invoice editor is sufficient but could be easier. It may or may not work for you. Here's the link to the developer.

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

I don't know if there's many reputable companies making accounting software, especially on the OS X side. Quickbooks for Mac is supposedly a poor option compared to the Windows version, but they did just release a 2012 so maybe there's hope?

My workplace is a full Apple/Mac environment - server, AirPort Extreme and Express, iMacs, and a MBP - except for our accounting computer. We have one Win7 laptop that I set up in a docked workstation just for Quickbooks.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm AccountEdge, that used to be MYOB before they sold it. AE may be overkill for you as well, but I think I read that they have a "lite" version. Or perhaps adopt the full AE and make your tax accountant happy?

I'm very happy with AE.

6. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Multiledger

Take a look at MultiLedger from CheckMark software. I've used it for several years and do the books for clients as well as my own business. They have a free trial version you can down load and try. Go to their web site for info.

7. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Since there are probably several business owners here, I want to suggest a program called Checkbook Pro. It simply creates checks that can be printed by Quickbooks/Quicken. I used Versacheck for years on PC's and needed a Mac solution when I made the change.

Let me say this is a very simple program than does exactly what I need it to do: print checks. Not affiliated in any way, just a great program so I thought I would share.

8. quandmeme macrumors member

wave accounting

We have been using hosted quickbooks accounts for my day job and we like the cloud a lot. But for a side gig that is very simple, I have been using Wave Accounting. Web apps frustrate me because they use 3x the clicks to get things done, but free web-based accounting is very cool.

http://waveaccounting.com/

9. davidmturner macrumors newbie

xero.com

I tried them all, ran VMware Fusion to provide a Windows environment for Quickbooks and Sage Instant Accoutns. I selected and ran the latter for 2 years after completing a bookkeeping course.

All pale into insignificance compared to Xero.com which makes bookkeeping very easy.

I'm not affiliated in any way, just don't want to see people suffer with small business accounts like people did in the old days.