Looking for a good backup program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markw10, Apr 24, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I am relatively new to the Mac and know it's time for a good backup program. I have looked and seen backup programs such as Silverkeeper and Retrospect. I will be backing up to a hard drive that's attached to a airdisk and at times as well to a Lacie Firewire drive. I keep the Lacie in a safe for a 2nd backup in case of fire/theft or failure of my main backup.
    Also I keep a 3rd backup on DVD offsite but this one isn't backed up often.
    The way I like to do my backups on my server drive is on a weekly basis do a complete system backup and on a daily basis at night do a backup of any data (safari favorites, documents, quickbooks data, etc).
    I have been a PC user for years and used Acronis most of the time and would either do a system backup or select certain directories to backup. I tried a trial of Silverkeeper when i first got my system. Maybe I did something wrong but it seemed hard to use and seemed to only have the full system backup option. What are some backup programs I should try? I know TimeMachine is coming out but I at least need a good solution until Oct.

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Everyone keeps talking about Superduper, I'm thinking about checking it out. Question I have is, what is the difference between that and the Apple Backup (the orange umbrella program) that is listed on apple's website? It may help to know that I have a .mac membership. What features could I look forward to that I don't have already?

3. justG macrumors member

justG

You can compare two applications by reading about them or trying them both out. I can't tell you what you'll find in SuperDuper! that you don't already have, because I don't know what you already have. What I do know is that when I was researching backup applications some time ago, SuperDuper! was almost unanimously recommended. I tried it, it did what I needed it to do, I bought it.

If you want straight-up backups, that's all you'll need. I wanted something with a little more granular control, and when I found SmartBackup, I thought it was the perfect complement to SuperDuper! and bought that too.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your decision.