Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I am relatively new to the Mac and know it's time for a good backup program. I have looked and seen backup programs such as Silverkeeper and Retrospect. I will be backing up to a hard drive that's attached to a airdisk and at times as well to a Lacie Firewire drive. I keep the Lacie in a safe for a 2nd backup in case of fire/theft or failure of my main backup.
Also I keep a 3rd backup on DVD offsite but this one isn't backed up often.
The way I like to do my backups on my server drive is on a weekly basis do a complete system backup and on a daily basis at night do a backup of any data (safari favorites, documents, quickbooks data, etc).
I have been a PC user for years and used Acronis most of the time and would either do a system backup or select certain directories to backup. I tried a trial of Silverkeeper when i first got my system. Maybe I did something wrong but it seemed hard to use and seemed to only have the full system backup option. What are some backup programs I should try? I know TimeMachine is coming out but I at least need a good solution until Oct.

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX

Everyone keeps talking about Superduper, I'm thinking about checking it out. Question I have is, what is the difference between that and the Apple Backup (the orange umbrella program) that is listed on apple's website? It may help to know that I have a .mac membership. What features could I look forward to that I don't have already?

justG

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2007
Orlando, FL, US
You can compare two applications by reading about them or trying them both out. I can't tell you what you'll find in SuperDuper! that you don't already have, because I don't know what you already have. What I do know is that when I was researching backup applications some time ago, SuperDuper! was almost unanimously recommended. I tried it, it did what I needed it to do, I bought it.

If you want straight-up backups, that's all you'll need. I wanted something with a little more granular control, and when I found SmartBackup, I thought it was the perfect complement to SuperDuper! and bought that too.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.