looking for a good bag for all my gear

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jvalente, Oct 30, 2011.

1. jvalente macrumors member

hey guys.

i have the following camera stuff.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55-300mm.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/16-85mm.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600.htm

I want to fit ALL of it into one bag, which is able to be swung around my torso so i can get into it while it's on my back.

I don't care about price or brand, but avoiding lowepro since everyone can recognise them would be nice.

Appreciate the help in advance, let me know if you want my thoughts on any of that gear

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have, roughly, the same kind of setup as you do only in Canon format. I use the Tamrac Evolution 8 and it holds everything very nicely.

I'm not sure if it's a big necessity for you or not but I wound up picking this bag since it has a compartment for your laptop/tablet which was a biggy for me.

[​IMG]

4. Jazzy Jase macrumors newbie

I have the Tamrac Evo 8 too and it's a great bag. My Macbook Pro 15 fits perfectly in the back, my Canon 60D fits in the main pocket, along with 2 spare lenses and charger, whilst my wife's 550D with a lens fit's nicely in the top - it gets a bit heavy fully loaded though!

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I like Crumpler too. They have a waterproof outer shell. Crumpler Million Dollar bags will work.

If you want a dual bag .. Timbuk2 has a camera bag call Snoop that comes with an insert where you can secure your gear in. Like the Crumpler bags, they have this TPU lining that protects your gear. Also has a ton of compartments.

Both bags I use to get into concerts. I rarely get my bag searched. Plus in the event of rain, I don't have to dig for a cover, because its already protect. Difference in the two is the Crumpler Million Dollar bags has an added handle at the top of the bag. Timbuk2 has a hidden pocket aka Napoleon pocket and place to put keys.. and storage for memory that covered.

6. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

I feel you're perhaps to quick to write-off Lowepro - take a look at the Classified range, these are more subtle than most on the market. I have both the Classified Sling 220AW (sling-type backpack) and the Classified 250AW (shoulder bag) and neither are as obviously camera bags as some of those mentioned. Lowepro's Stealth range are also pretty subtle, it's all a case of how much you value protection and ergonomics over your perceived recognition factor.

"Everyone can recognise Lowepro" - I don't think so.

7. Razeus macrumors 601

Consider the risks of carrying your gear in one bag. When I had my gear stolen from my car earlier in the year, having 1 bag with everything in it made it real easy for the thief to get away. Since then, I only take what I need and leave the rest in my safe. The bag I use now is self made and cost $50. It's a military style Jack Bauer bag with a camera insert. Holds my D7000 with 17-55 attached, 35, 50, 85mm lenses and my SB-700.

8. stevendphoto macrumors member

I have had a number of bags over the years and just recently bought a LowePro Flipside 400AW, it is an awesome bag, SUPER comfortable and holds a ton of gear. They go for about $200, but you can find them new on eBay for about $100!

Link: http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-400 AW,2116.htm

9. jvalente thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've worried about that already, I consider myself OCD enough about my gear to not leave it out of my sight, another reason I want a sling-type bag rather than a backpack, so I can leave it on even while I'm shooting.

Also, I really dig your setup. What do you usually shoot with all those primes? I'm trying to get into event/club photography, how often do you find yourself using 2.8 on your 17-55? (if you ever shoot anything like this)
    My 16-85 was too much of a bargain to pass up, got it from a mate at massive discount, but the 17-55 has always been in the back of my mind...

10. LadyMacBeth43 macrumors newbie

I use the Timbuk2 Snoop. It's my daily bag in addition to being the only gear bag I've even thought about since it got here. I went with the Medium, and it does look huge when you get it out of the box, but there is no way I can fit all of my current gear and the things I personally require for an entire day (a complete set of supplies for my insulin pump, glucose monitors, and treatments for low blood sugars) plus the normal things I use like my iPad, phone, and wallet.

It's a bit roomy for a daily bag, but I haven't forgotten a single thing I needed since I found a bag I could use for both daily life and photography, and that happened several times before I got this bag. I also have not lost out on any shots because I didn't have my camera on me, as I've always got at least the my XSI with one lens on it in the bag. It takes no time to drop any other lens I want in the bag.

Features:

This is a messenger style bag, and if you play with the strap enough, you will find a sweet spot where the bag will sit perfectly on your back. There is a quick release buckle that will open up the strap to get yourself in and out of the bag with a modicum of grace and then buckle back up. There is also a narrow strap to add on as a waist belt for extra support. When you have the shoulder strap set properly this waist belt works unbelievably well to distribute weight over your hipbones. I think the belt might run a little short for some people, but it may be possible to address the issue some how.

I bought the cellphone case for the strap. I've yet to bother adding the bottle opener..

There are tripod loops under the bag. They work well, but your monopod or tripod will get scratched up if you don't have a case for it. I found the loops were a great place for my jacket.

The few organizer pockets in the front get used, but they aren't amazing enough to offer as a feature of the bag. Too narrow, as most other reviews I read said. I tend to stick my wallet or my SD card case on the key clip, depending on which I am more afraid to lose at the time.

Every review I read said the bag needed a hand loop. It was absolutely the first thing that drove me nuts about the bag, and is pretty much the only thing I don't like about the bag. I'm getting around the lack of decent place to put water, but I wish there was a hand loop a lot. This bag would be an 11 with the hand loop.

This may not apply here, but as a woman, this was the most comfortable camera bag with a single strap I've ever worn and is the least ridiculous looking when I wear it.

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

12. Devistater macrumors newbie

13. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I'll just tab along here, the laptop compartment is a thing that i'm missing right now, but the bag mentioned only holds up to 15", so what are my options when I have a 17"?

14. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I have a stealth too, good bags..not very stealthy though lol they are the over the should type back and i think you can get different sizes, if the badge bothers you, you could aways cover it up or take it off?

15. snberk103, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

snberk103 macrumors 603

Doesn't matter how OCD you are, there are going to be times when you will need to leave the gear behind. Make sure you've got adequate insurance on it.

Also, don't be so OCD about keeping the bag clean and new looking. Big new shiny bag = shiny new camera gear inside. Old scuffed bag = old scuffed camera gear inside.

I have several bags.... all but one I bought second hand. I do this mostly because I'm cheap, but it also works to camouflage my gear. I have one small bag (good for carrying the camera/lense plus one extra lense) that is branded by a now defunct camera maker. No one gives that bag a second look.

One other thought. I prefer small bags. I need to pre-plan what kind of photography I will be doing, and leave behind gear. And yes, occasionally I will wish I had brought a different lense. But I find by concentrating on what I can do well, I don't get overwhelmed with all the possibilities. I am able to enjoy, but not photograph, where I am - and then get to work on whatever it is that I am shooting. I also find carrying everything plus the kitchen sink is tiring and it's often too much of an effort to pull the camera bag around and pull the camera out. With my small bag (camera/lense + 1 lense) I will take more photos (if the subject matter is what I'd prepared for) since it's so easy to just start shooting.

But of course, ymmv... and all of this is imho, only... svp, eh?

16. Bear macrumors G3

What you list is reasonable to carry in one bag. If you know you're not going to use a particular lens, you could leave that lens at home to lighten the load a bit.

What you want is a well made bag with a bit of room to hold a small amount of additional stuff. Like spare batteries, lens cleaning stuff, etc. I also keep some Wetnaps, tissues and sucking candy in one pocket of my bag.

Does a Tenba bag that is just a few months shy of 30 years old count as an old scuffed bag? This just goes to show the value of buying a good bag (new or used). Although I have no idea how well made new Tenba bags are as I haven't had any reason to find out.

17. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Kata Bags. I have the 3N1-33. I can put my 15 inch MBP, Nikon D4, the Nikon Lens trinity, 105mm Macro, and other stuff in there easily.

18. Unlocker macrumors newbie

The 17" doesn't quite fit unfortunately so the easiest option would be to get the Evolution 9 instead! It's exactly what I did which you can find out on my review here.

19. mulo, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

awesome review bro, reading it now! :)