Looking for a good budget program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newhampshiremac, Feb 3, 2010.

1. newhampshiremac macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Just bought my first iMac, and I'm trying to find a simple free home budget program. I used SimpleD Budget for Windows, and am looking for something similar. Any help would be appreciated!

--Bill

2. www.zwodnik.pl macrumors newbie

try GFP, GnuCash, Grisbi, jGnash, HomeBank, Buddi and Cashbox

3. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Numbers, which is part of the iWork productivity suite. It has a built in Budget Template ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome to Mac kid-o :)

4. bosstucker macrumors newbie

mint.com is has a budget section but the beauty of it is that once you add your accounts, it tracks them automatically and can show trends and stuff via pie charts, so you basically just set your budget and it does the rest. I am only a college student and don't really have much of a formal budget so it might be too simple for what your looking for but it's free and works like a charm (the iphone app isn't great but the website is)

5. mongrol macrumors regular

None of those are proper budget programs. They are transactional personal finance managers with a token effort in the budget area. You want a an envelope style budget like "Moneywell" or "Budget" (snowmint software). Same with mint and iWork. Anything that isn't an "Envelope" budgeter only tracks what you
    've spent once you spent it, which is a bit late. Envelope budgeting shows you what you have to spend on something before you spend it.

Moneywell is the most modern and is very well regarded.

6. newhampshiremac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, Mint.com is the closest to what I'm looking for, but still haven't found the right program.

If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate it!

Right now, I'm using my wife's windows laptop to do the budget, I'm sure she'd appreciate me using my own brand new machine!

Thanks for the help!

7. wak0 macrumors newbie

excellent

hey did you guys check this new app called budget-planner. it has a nice calendar view that shows you if you are positive or negative on a particular day. sometimes i pay bank charges because i forget i pay credit and i dont check my bank account until they sent me a letter in the mail, but this app lets me know when i will be under the balance. pretty cool app, check it out