Looking for a good cheap MP3 player that I can record from a mic on

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Benjamindaines, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I am looking for a good MP3 player that I can plug a non amplified mic into and record high quality voice recordings on. I am going to use this for when I am video casting, I'll have a lapel mic plugged into the MP3 player and record the audio on there, download it on to the computer and sync it up with the video in Final Cut. What's out there that's good for this? I would like to spend as little money as possible on this since cash is a bit tight after the iPhone...

--Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

IIRC there is some project out there on the big bad internet to use 2g iPods for good quality recording. I think there was something specific in the hardware that made them ideal for it. Have a hunt around google and you might find something.

Having said that I could be mad, and my mind is playing tricks on me.

5. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If you're talking about iPod Linux I have tried it on my 4G iPod and it works great, when it works, other times it will just create a blank WAV file.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

No, it's another project, but I can't find the information on the site I was thinking of.

As an alternative, if you have an iPod, you can get decent adaptors, or else a Minidisc player/recorder - apparently they're cheap and good quality. Here's some info on mac compatibility