Looking for a Good DVD Replication Service

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bassist2528, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassist2528 macrumors newbie

I have just finalized editing a ski movie on FCP, and I need to send it to get copied to DVD about 200 times and have a professional label on the DVD, case and insert as it will be sold at the premier.

I am looking for a place that is cheap, but still has good quality and reputation.

All recommendations and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

One question that might need asking, is who will master the DVD?

You or the company.

By master, I mean set up the DVD menus like iDVD only professional grade such as with DVD Pro.

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

4. bassist2528 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will master it completely i.e. title screen, chapters, menus, etc. It will be a final product, so it will just have to be duplicated.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Duplicated and replicated aren't the same thing. Duplication means they take your DVD and basically burn copies of it onto DVD-Rs. Replication means they make make a glass master (typically from an project finished onto DLT or burned using a professional burner capable of DVD-R Authoring) and stamp the DVD blanks (this is how Hollywood does it for example). Duplication is typically used for runs of under 1000 and replication for runs of over 1000 and many (most?) number of replicators will accept 'general' DVD-Rs as masters (it's been a while since I've looked into it though).

Lethal

6. bassist2528 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info. I guess it would be the straight up duplication as it won't be sold in major stores or anything, just to local people and I only need about 200 copies.

7. iGav macrumors G3

Don't forget the old adage... you can have it done well, you can have it done cheaply, you can have it done quickly - pick two. ;)

I don't know where you're based, but once upon a time I used to use Masterdisc, Disctronic and Universal in London, though I have a feeling one of the first two no longer exists.

But to be honest, it's no longer a dark art, and even a local MOR reputable duplication company shouldn't f**k it up.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I had used DiscMakers a few years back to make 10 or so DVD's with real printing on them along with the case inserts and was happy with the quality and price.

Here's a more direct link to their short run area of the site.

http://duplication.discmakers.com/mcm/discmakers/index.jsp

200 DVD's with them duplicating them, cases, full wrap around color inserts, and color printing on the disc runs about $3.00 per unit. So $600ish.

9. KUguy505 macrumors newbie

I would highly recommend www.princetondisc.com

They have a $626 special for 500 DVDs right now (you'd have to look into pricing for smaller quantities) and they have been around for over 20 years and know the business well.

10. cool85 macrumors newbie

Best place for duplication and replication

I would absolutely recommend www.duplication.ca, they have always given me the best price I could find and their salespeople were very helpful. I got 500 CD's duplicated and and thermal printed for really cheap and the quality was great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.