Looking for a good external blu-ray drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by onlymybiribiri, Dec 7, 2010.

1. onlymybiribiri macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

2. Makosuke, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

Makosuke macrumors 603

Your link isn't working; apparently (based on trying to do exactly the same thing myself) MacRumors is automatically inserting an anrdoezrs.net affiliate link redirect on all links to MacMall, but the redirector is breaking, so any link you try to paste into the forums (even with a manual [ url= ] tag) just takes you to the MacMall home page.

Regardless, the product, based on the product number in the bad link, appears to be this:
    http://www.buffalotech.com/products...diastation-8x-ultra-slim-portable-dvd-writer/

(Frustrating not to be able to link to it, but MacMall is selling it for $192, regardless, which is an average price; I can find it for a bit less with a quick search. Copy and pasting, rather than clicking, this link might work: http://www.macmall.com/p/6113691 )

And the answer is that yes, it will work with a Mac (pretty much any external USB drive will), but out of the box it will only read Blu-ray data discs and burn DVDs/CDs. If you want to burn Blu-ray discs (data or otherwise) you're going to need a 3rd party burn support at this point; Toast is one option, and NTI Dragon Burn apparently also supports burning Blu-ray data discs. Neither comes with that drive, which is why it doesn't list Mac support. And if you want to play Blu-ray movies (rather than just read data discs) you're going to need to either use Windows, or one of the (non-free) Blu-ray rippers currently available, which you would use to rip the movie to your hard drive and play it from there--inconvenient.

I have a blu-ray reader that I use with one of the above apps, though I specifically got it for taking screenshots of blu-ray movies for reviews, for which the rip-screencap system works ok. Personally, if I wanted to burn blu-ray discs, I'd just get a cheap full-sized BD-burner (NewEgg has had them on sale for under $100 recently) and stick it in a cheap 5.25" external case ($30-50, depending on brand and quality), then add a copy of Toast or Dragon Burn. It'd end up being significantly cheaper than any all-in-one solution that doesn't come with Mac software, and putting together a 5.25" drive and case only takes a couple of minutes.

Weird on that MacRumors automatic-affiliate-link-generator breaking MacMall links.

3. onlymybiribiri thread starter macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

4. fred_garvin macrumors regular

I just got one myself. I recommend OWC (Other World Computing). Around $200 for external quad interface blu-ray burner. LG or pay a little more for pioneer. Specifically mac compatible.

5. just1nd20 macrumors newbie

I got an Asus external and I am happy with it so far. Do some searching for promo codes for either amazon or newegg and you could find a a nice discount on its price worth buying. Using it on a 2.53ghz MacBook Pro with MakeMKV.

Only reason I didn't go with an external case and internal drive combination is only having one FireWire port. I already use an external HDD over FireWire and didn't want to copy my movies to my internal and then transfer to the external every time. Disconnecting the blu-ray then connecting the HDD after every movie wasn't worth it.

6. fred_garvin macrumors regular

The OWC I have has 2 FW 800 ports allowing for daisy chaining of drives. I use this with MacBookPro and FW hard drive.

7. just1nd20 macrumors newbie

I didn't know that would work with a HDD and optical. I've never daisy chained drives. Now it makes me rethink why I went with this drive since it needs 2 USB connections at once.

8. onlymybiribiri thread starter macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

Thanks for the link, I think I am going to get that.