Looking for a good External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFanUK, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Can anyone recommend a couple of good, reliable external hard drives?

The first one I'm looking for is a desktop USB/ESATA/Firewire drive and the other one I'm looking for is a NAS drive to use as a server disk.

Haven't got much to spend but want reliability over cheapness.

2. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

4. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks for those replies. I'm looking for some recommendations based on real life useage.

5. cube macrumors G5

You can find the Macpower/inXtron Pleiades Super S-Combo in the UK.
    I have it. It's very nice.

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

I've been using the LaCie d2 quadra. I don't know that it's necessarily the best, but it serves its purpose and has usb/esata/firewire.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I just got my new 1TB d2 quadra in the mail today and I'm about to set it up tonight. This will be replacing my aging, 6 year old 250MB Lacie drive, which has definitely served its purpose for me and is still running great actually.

So yea, I'm going with Lacie again because of my satisfaction with my last purchased model. Never had any problems with Lacie before :)

8. mangrove macrumors 6502

I also vote for LaCie-I have a 2big quadra mirrored with 2TB and a newer 4big quadra mirrored with 8TB. I love the swappable HD features. By the by I have 2 extra 1TB drives from my original 4big quadra purchase.

9. onebitrocket macrumors member

I can highly recommend a western digital desktop drive.

I bought the 1TB My book Home Edition. I can't fault it really. It works with time machine.

In the office we've just received two 2TB western digital My Book World Edition drives.

The drives work with time machine and the are network drives (NAS). The initial back up took 11 hours but it was over 200GB through a 10/100 speed router. The incremental back ups are really quick though.
    This drive also has twonky media server and itunes server installed.

The reason the office bought the western digital drives was because the 4 lacie 500GB big disk drives all failed with in a week of each other - I should point out they had been used as havy duty drive that we're in constant use. They had been used daily for around 4 years.