looking for a good/fast video converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Anarchy99, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I am looking for a good, fast video converter that's preferably free.

On recommendation of a friend I tried Miro video converter, but I noticed it's taking a while to convert AVI to AppleTV friendly format.
    when I look at the processes in activity monitor it's only using 309% of the CPU so I got 54% idle processor sitting there being lazy
    being that I'm on my new Retina MacBook Pro, I want to kick it up a notch if possible

thanks

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

That is kind of a "can of worms" question where everyone has their own opinions. To me the two 'go to' apps for video conversion, etc. are: handbrake and VLC Media Player.

Check out the VLC segment on this episode of Tekzilla for step by step instructions for conversion and other useful things.

3. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol, i didn't realize thats a hot button issue :S
    il check those out but i'm still open to other suggestions

thanks

4. Peterlyn macrumors newbie

Give video converter here a shot, it has presets to convert avi files to ATV friendly format. You do not need to set the output parameters.

I have used this in the past and works well.

5. mrderik macrumors member

I have several including all the above on my machine, but I pretty much exclusively use iSkysoft at this point, it's just the most simple, and also 'merges' multiple audio files into a single mp3 quick and easy - which I use alot. It's deinterlace setting is a little obtuse. But other wise most basic tasks are fast and simple. Drag a 'DVD' image from your desktop into the window, chose what you want the output res to be (or what kind of device you're going to play it on for the setting challenged) and hit go.