looking for a good flash blocker on macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mayhone1, May 16, 2011.

1. mayhone1 macrumors regular

hi I am looking for a good flash warning/blocker on my new macbook air, anyone know of one thanks :apple:

2. simsaladimbamba

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    • Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-In; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Since the MBA doesn't ship with Flash installed, the best Flash blocker is to simply not install Flash.

Why go out of your way to install something, then waste CPU cycles blocking it. Seems inefficient to me.

4. RealScience macrumors member

Because some websites aren't usable without Flash (many shopping sites, for example). I use it when I have no choice, but turn it off wherever it's optional.

5. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I'm using AdBlock Plus for Firefox. I used to use FlackBlock, but I really like AdBlock more. First of all, it gets rids of a lot of annoying popups, flashing gifs and whatnot. Also, it removes any flash banners and similar annoying flash content (without exception so far).. But the sweet thing is, all the flash you WANT to work still works. Stuff like YouTube, online video players, games and such works like normal (with an added "block" button in case you want to hide it). I really love this addon for my Air, keeps all the bad flash away and lets me see all the flash content I want :)

Edit: realscience, sounds like you want this too. I used to turn on/off flashblock for a few sites, but I'm glad to have that work automatically now.

6. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

You can just leave Flash uninstalled and download Google Chrome. Chrome has it's own bundled version of flash, so any time you absolutely need to use it you can. It's actually better than using a Flash blocker because it lets websites know that there is no Flash installed. Some sites will serve you alternate content if no Flash is detected. When you use click2flash etc, the website still thinks you want Flash content and tries to serve it to you regardless. It's not as user friendly, but i've got an Automator action that opens the current safari URL in chrome via a keyboard shortcut.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If you do that, you'll find out Chrome is just a superior browser and end up using it all the time though, bringing you back to square one (or if you're clever, you'll just go to about:plugins and hit disable on the Flash part).

8. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I've actually just switched to Chrome for a trial run. I've always been completely satisfied with Safari, but I like how Chrome is updated every couple weeks with new stuff.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

FlashFrozen is all you need. Sits in the menubar and you can control when to close all flash applications or even block them from the start.

Free in the AppStore.