Looking for a good FTP server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Veil, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Veil macrumors member

Hey there

I'm looking for a proper FTP server application for Leopard, but so far without success. What I'm looking for:

- App with a good (at least decent) GUI
    - Ability to add different users with specific options (folder control; quotas; speed; access)
    - Security settings (ip based, ssl, etc.)
    - Not Java based

The default FTP server in Leopard works with the system users and doesn't have any other settings you can alter. The only application that comes near is PureFTPd server & manager. I don't really know that the server is capable of itself, but the manager is just horrible in use.

On my Windows PC I use Gene6, and I'm hoping there's something similar for OS X. It strikes me as odd though, that there are like thousands of FTP clients, but so little FTP servers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

2. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Transmit or Cyberduck are the best FTP apps I've used on OS X. I ended up paying for Transmit in the end.

Not sure if it'll tick all your boxes, though... Google them and find out :)

3. Veil thread starter macrumors member

Those are clients, I'm looking for a server app.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm fond of pureFTPd Manager for OS X. Only weird thing is that PASV simply refuses to work with some people attempting to connect, even with properly specified and forwarded port ranges.