Looking for a good HD camcorder

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iToaster, May 27, 2007.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Hiya everyone, I've been looking around at camcorders, but haven't really found much that suits my needs. Does anyone know of any HD camcorders, preferably with firewire transfers, and Mac compatibility (obviously). P.S. I like Canon, but will go with whatever suits my desires.

2. princigalli macrumors 6502

Hv20

Just got a Canon HV20. Inexpensive (around $1000) and beautiful image. Beats most prosumer cameras under $7000 and has a beautiful progressive mode.

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

4. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ok, that's cool. I'm not looking to spend tons of money, just enough for a decent camcorder (saving for MBP), but I was wondering what would be a good product to potentially purchase. Also, it's confusing on canon's website as to what works on a mac, but I take it the HV20 works on a Mac, I've been eyeing it. Thanks for suggestions so far.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Basically all of Canons consumer camcorders are compatible with Mac except the DVD camcorders. HV10 and the HV20 are the only consumer models that Canon makes which are HD.

Also check out the new Canon Powershot TX1. I just bought it last Saturday.
    Its a 7.1 megapixel camera which can also HD movies to SD cards. Cost is $500.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

For consumer HDV camcorders in the ~$1000 price range, nothing beats the Canon HV20.

The other option that is also good is the Sony HDR-HC7.

7. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

If you like Canon the HV20 would be a great choice... beautiful images and the price is inexpensive.

8. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

I do indeed think that the HV20 is the camcorder for me. I like the size, the price is right, and it's got great features. One more thing, I read in a review on Apple.com that said it would connect with a firewire cable for video conferencing and direct capture. Is that true? (it'd be awesome if it was)

9. djkny macrumors 6502

The IDEAL HD camera would be the handling and functionality of the Sony HC7, the image quality of the Canon HV20, and the audio and sleek design of the Panasonic SR-1.

Now, do you wonder why the companies can't put their minds together and release such a thing? (hint: cutting costs, cheapo globalization)

10. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Yes, you can connect via firewire and record directly to iMovie for example... haven't tried video conferencing though.

11. seany916 macrumors 6502

HV20 is your best bet.

Also has an HDMI input. The picture quality is stunning. Also had DV (FW400 4 pin). Amazing value. Would be worth it at $1,600. But don't pay that much. One of the rare electronic "best buy values" out there that includes high quality, great features, and a fair price.

12. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, if I'm gettin' anything, it will be the HV20. It good to know it has a firewire on it, so my firewire port has a job. And if it's firewire, it will work with iMovie and things that can use an external camera, but videoconferencing in HD would probably require high bandwidth. Thanks for the input.

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I use my Canon Optura 60 as my videoconferencing camera, and it works great. iChat, Skype, whatever, it's perfect.

14. roebuck86 macrumors newbie

Personally, I'd get the Panasonic HVX200. Then if you really need to pimp your cam buy the M2 lens adapter for some sweet, sweet footage.

15. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

The Panasonic HVX200 is around $6,000 USD... so that's probably too much for his needs.

16. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

You got that right. I'm only looking for about $1000 if that.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Now that you've had it for a little while, what is your impression as a video camera, and as a digital camera?