looking for a good HTML editor

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sMac me, Dec 13, 2009.

1. sMac me macrumors newbie

hello, i am new here and new to MAC and i do a lot of web design. my teacher in school turned me on t a good one called HTML kit by Chami, but i don't think it is compatible with my MAC.

could you guys recommend me a good HTML editor along the same line as HTML kit? i really like HTML kit a lot and would like to find something that is along the same lines, or if there is something better please fill me in.

thanks again for looking.

2. sMac me thread starter macrumors newbie

was hoping to find something free, i'm a student and need to save all the money i can. Chami's HTML kit was free software, was kinda hoping to find something like that. thanks for the recommendation.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Check out Komodo Edit, I find it very useful. I have dreamweaver, but often prefer to work in Komodo.

/Doug

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

See the stickies in this forum as well as using MRoogle as this is a very common discussion topic. I use BBEdit, but if you want free, TextWrangler is the free version of BBEdit.

6. ryketech macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac as well and use Text Wrangler. Free and simple to use.

7. digitalmac macrumors member

digitalmac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I would recommend TextMate. .

8. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Does anyone here have an opinion of Coda? I just downloaded it and it seems pretty nice, haven't really had a chance to dig in much though.

9. astroot macrumors regular

10. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Excellent to hear. I've used DW before but it just seems so chunky. Lots of extra features that don't mean much to me. Coda just seems so easy and strait-forward.

11. astroot macrumors regular

I like coding everything by hand, and Coda does that just fine. Espresso is also a good app and fairly comparable to Coda, but I personally like Coda better.

I have friends who swear by TextMate, BBEdit, or TextWrangler. I think the phrase "to each his own" applies when talking about web development tools.

12. elitesouth macrumors member

elitesouth

I couldn't agree more. Start by downloading the free editors and see which one suits your fancy.