Looking for a Good LCD/TV for Gaming

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bobber205, May 4, 2008.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

What do you guys recommend? One of these days I am going own a next gen system aside from the Wii.

I want to next month sell some stuff, including my LCD monitor, and get a LCD/TV.

How much am I looking at spending? What do you guys recommend? I have a 20" LCD at the moment. Wanting about the same thing.

Thanks for any advice. ;)
    Is 20" about the biggest I should get if I intend to use it as a monitor?

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Apple Cinema Display 20".

...unless you have $4k to drop on an EIZO, you won't find better.

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

ACD is probably the most expensive I could get. ;)

Anything near 400?

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

A lot of people swear by the Samsung and Philips brands, if you can get those cheaper, you will effectively be using the same LCD panel, with differing driver logic boards.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I swear by Samsung. We just bought a 40" Series 4 model for a stupidly cheap amount (about £500 from Costco), especially compared to other models in the UK. AFAIK the only difference between series 4 and 5 is a whopping contrast ratio but then you gotta ask yourself if that is worth another £300.

So yea I'd go for a series 4 Samsung whilst they're going cheap. Incredible picture quality too and the sound is great even though the speakers are hidden.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:rolleyes: LCD/TV

Apple cinema display does not fit that criteria in any shape or form.

It may be a good monitor when hooked up to a mac, but it's near useless for connectivity to other devices including consoles and it certainly is not a TV

Therefore for the OP's needs it totally misses the mark.

You really need to work on your salesmanship ;)

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea my Dell monitors are great for PC gaming but not so good for consoles, and for TV you'd need an EyeTV which then requires your Mac to be turned on! I'm using the same setup to get TV and it's not so great.

You need a TV not a monitor. Unless you want to shell out copious amounts of money.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

In the $400 range, I'm looking at the Samsung SM2032MW, about which I've heard many good things. That said, it might not be available in your territory

9. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Samsung is my personally favorite, second would be LG.

Whatever you buy, go down and check out the display in person, if possible. LCD TVs up until recently have had really poor contrast and color saturation for broadcast colors -- even though their specs have stated otherwise -- when compared to plasmas. The lower end displays are still noticeably washed out.

I have a 19" Samsung LCD TV in my office for my Wii. it's also hooked up to my old G4 and my only living PC. It's a great monitor, even when compared to my Apple 30", but for the Wii and TV, it really depends on the game and content.

You should consider saving more and getting a 32 or 40" Samsung. The display on the newer sets of these sizes, are noticeably better than the smaller screens, especially when compared to my 19". But you'll have to spend at least double your planned budget.

blah. ** must sleep **

<]=)