looking for a good mp3 tag editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edenbensal, Sep 24, 2013.

1. edenbensal macrumors regular

in my previous computer I used to use a great software called "Mp3Tag".
    i didn't find yet worthy substitute for the software i mentioned above for mac.
    can someone help me please?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Join the club, I have yet to find a suitable replacement for Tag&Rename on the Mac side. http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

I would gladly pay for a program to, but I have not found one yet. Maybe there is one but I haven't been able to find it.

XLD is good for ripping but for going back and tagging or re-tagging of files it is not very good at. And by that I mean, if you have files ripped into a folder without a .cue file then you are limited to looking at the files you selected. If that happens to be all the files then you have to go through each one, one by one. Unless there is something that I missing. If you have the .cue file then use it works pretty good.

But nothing I have found on the Mac side is anywhere as useful or has as many features as Tag&Rename.

3. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

i use mp3 tag editor just to remove all the tags from the mp3 file and rewrite tags by myself each mp3 file. that way i keep my music organized.

thank for reply.

4. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

5. Erahgon macrumors newbie

Erahgon

New OS X user here wondering the same thing. Ended up installing the same app you had mentioned - "Mp3tag" using "PlayOnMac" which is a software based on the WINE system to run Windows applications on OS X.

It runs fine, but it takes a while to load the directories on OS X's file system, initially.
    Now, I have my music stored under: //users/<username>/Music , which is basically a folder called "Music" under the Home folder.
    To set the above as the working folder on Mp3tag, this would be found under the following: "Desktop" -> a folder shown simply as "/" -> Users -> <username> -> Music.

Tried to run some tasks on a few Dire Straits songs I had, and it works like a charm!

Cheers!

6. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

I finally gave up trying to find a Mac alternative to MP3Tag. I installed the trial version of CrossOver but didn't want to pay $60 just to use a couple of apps. Luckily, there was a MacUpdate deal on CrossOver last week for $25. After installing MP3Tag and copying over my config files all I had to do was modify the paths.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

No complaints since doing this? I actually installed VMWare and use the MP3 Tag & Rename on the windows side to my tagging when needed. What a pain.

8. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test things but I've tagged a few albums and used my sorting scripts without issues.

My workflow consists of:

1: Removing all tags with MP3Tag
    2. Tagging the files using MusicBrainz Picard (native Mac app)
    3. Downloading cover art and manually adding it through MP3Tag
    4. Verifying and editing (if needed) tags in MP3Tag
    5. Adding music to iTunes to be matched with iTunes Match
    6. Downloading the matched album
    7. Using MP3Tag to sort the album into the proper folder