Looking for a good network printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by strausd, Sep 5, 2009.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

Hey guys, I am looking into buying a network printer. My main question is this: If I buy a network printer that says that it has to be plugged in via Ethernet, can I plug that into my wireless router and be able to print from anywhere in my house over wifi? I do not want to have to plug my MBP into an Ethernet cord in order to print. Would I have to have a wifi printer or do network printers support being plugged into a wireless router?

2. gorjan macrumors 6502

That a pirnter is an ethernet printer only means that the printer will have to be connected to the router with an ethernet cable, but you will still be able to print wirelessly from a Mac/PC. A wireless printer won't need a cable to be able to connect to a wifi router.

I have a Lexmark E120n and it's a great little BW laser printer. If you want color the Lexmark C540 is also great! :D

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

The E120n?

Fast enough, I print a lot of text and I get maybe 15ppm. It depends on where you'll use it, in my opinion it's great for home/small-office use. For 30 people sharing it, not so much. What's also great about it is the small size. :)

5. henrikblafield macrumors newbie

If what you are looking for is a multifunctional printer with scanning and copying as well as printing, I can recommend Canon Pixma MP620 based on my own experience:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Multifunctionals/Inkjet/PIXMA_MP620/index.asp

It's a wifi-equipped printer so with a wireless router you'll be able to place it anywhere you wish, and you'll be able to scan wirelessly as well. It also claims to have good photography printing option, although I haven't really played much with it. Some people have reported difficulties in getting it set up, but I didn't personally encounter any problems.

Works flawlessly in OS X as well, including Snow Leopard.

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Network printer

Ha! I wirelessly print from 10.5.8 to my HP 4M Plus. That thing is nearly 15 years old and supports network printing, 600DPI & Duplex printing!

Its a beast I continue to support - high quality prints, cheap toner, mid-90's HP build quality (the thing weights 15KG+!!) and direct support in OS X. Can I complain? Not when I got it free from a friend 3 years ago.

For you? Buy a HP printer with drivers installed on a base installation of OS X. Make your life as simple as possible.

F

7. glassx macrumors member

i like my Hp officejet 6500 wireless. it's the fastest inkjet i ever had and can do double sided printing

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I was a fan of Canon ink jet printers but they "always" seem to break at the worst times and the printer heads are half the cost of another printer... that leaves you with any spare ink you may have that is worthless as Canon changes its ink cartridges with every model change:mad:

I no longer use Canon printers due to the ink issue.

I now have a great Brother 7840W AIO laser for my B&W needs and an HP 7260e for the limited color I need to print at home... while the color of the HP isn't "as" nice as the Canon's, the HP unit I got uses the H02 series of inks and those cartridges haven't changed in almost 8 years now which I think is a huge plus!

The other great thing about the Brother unit is unlike most other lasers, the toner and drum are separate cartridges so the printing supplies are much more economical!

The unit I have is also fast (23 PPM) and it works fine with all my winXP and OS X machines networked in the house (all 6 of them).

Good luck with your decision.

9. bildio macrumors regular

What adapter do you use to print wirelessly?

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

+1 for the Canon Multi-funtion. I have a Canon Pixma MX700 (printer, scanner, copier, fax) that I actually got as part of a deal with my Macbook purchase last year--networked via ethernet to my Time Capsule and it works great. Can perform any functions either via wired network or wirelessly. Also, set takes a couple of minutes to use via LAN but is straight-forward.

11. FireArse macrumors 6502a

LaserJet 4M Plus

Hmmm, I connect my PowerBook to a TimeCapsule. The Pinter has a JetDirect ethernet card with is connected by cable to the Router.

F

12. FireArse macrumors 6502a

-1 for any multi-function printer. Get a good printer, not an average printer, average scanner etc etc

Additionally, there's more to go wrong and there's more temptation for manufacturers to use cheaper (and therefore inherently less reliable) parts.

F

13. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

ok so this weekend i just set up an airport extreme base station so now i am not limited to a network printer. right now i just want a laser black and white with cheap toner, anyone know of anything?

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I stand by my earlier recommendation of Brother printers/AIO's...

15. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Brother...

Brother 2170W. Cheap and Fast. My High School just bought 6 for around the building.

It's wireless and networkable and does a great job! 23ppm!

I've got the 2070N, 3 years now, and it's been bulletproof! I still haven't had to change either the Drum or the cartridge!

Coachingguy

16. glassx macrumors member

i had a brother mfc790cw, barely used it then one day 2 cartridges were out of ink, they say the ink went away because it charges itself. it went on craigslist 10 minutes after the tech support call ended

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...that's better than Canon, Epson or HP printers that don't do it and the printer head just breaks due to clogged ink...

The OP is looking for a laser printer/AIO now though...