Looking for a good online "arcade" FPS for the PS3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by kuebby, Jan 26, 2011.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, so I bought my PS3 when they came out in 2006, and I bought Resistance with it which I LOVED. I played the online for hours and hours. It's rare for me to get really into a game but I'm pretty sure I passed 10000 kills online.

But the point of this thread is that I just got my PS3 hooked up online again and I'm looking for a new online FPS since no one plays Resistance anymore. I went into GameStop a few weeks ago to get a suggestion and I ended up with Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Not a bad game at all, I really enjoyed the campaign and the online is alright, but it's not the kind of online that I grew to love with Resistance. I basically want a more arcade style FPS.

So let me lay out what I liked about Resistance and what I didn't about BFBC2 and maybe you guys can help me find a new game.

Liked about Resistance:
    -Large maps with lots of players
    -Everyone had access to the same weapons
    -Both deathmatch and objective-driven modes
    -Kind of a "easy to learn, hard to master" type of gameplay

Don't like about Battlefield:
    -I hate this leveling up crap, it just makes you want to quit the game, since every else has better weapons. And they even have the audacity to sell you the upgrades in the store... what utter crap.
    -Too many people just camp and snipe
    -Too easy to die (goes with above complaint)
    -No deathmatch modes (there is squad deathmatch but that's not enough)
    -Can be too tactical for me, I'd rather "run and gun"

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Have you tried Resistance 2? I found it a lot of fun online. Uncharted 2 is a lot of fun online, but only 10 players (I think), third person and has a level up system, but everyone has the same weapons and you pick up better ones on the map, the levelling up is only for unlocking perks.

3. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

I played Resistance 2 online a bit but I didn't really like it as much as the original; and at this point it's been out a while so I doubt anyone still plays online anyway. As far as Uncharted 2 I bought the first one and didn't like it so much so I didn't really think about the second one, and I'd really like a first-person shooter.

4. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

have you tried Killzone 2? (3 is about to come out, feb 22nd i think?) Or some of the call of duty games?

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Sounds like Unreal Tournament 3 might have been up your ally. It's quite brilliant, lets you import custom user maps, and to my knowledge it is the only PS3 game to support mouse/keyboard controls. Not sure if people are still playing online though...sadly, the online community was never huge.

Have you tried Warhawk?

6. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

I played a little Killzone 2 but at this point I'll just wait for 3 and see if it's any good, cause that'll definitely have a good online. I've played a few of the CoD games, they're ok, in hindsight I probably should have bought Black Ops instead of Bad Company 2.

Yeah, UT3 definitely would have been for me. Couldn't you even play vs bots? Or even with another person vs bots? I love games like that, I remember playing Time Splitters on the PS2 with all kinds of bots.

Pretty sure I tried Warhawk when it came out, but unfortunately that's another one that I'm sure at this point the online is dead.

7. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

Kz3 demo is coming out around feb 15th, and yeah i tried bad company two beta and didnt like it.. glad i did not buy it :)

8. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Yeah, bot support was great. You could start an online server with a bunch of bots, and they would disappear as real players joined the game to take their place.

No idea if people still play Warhawk, I know it had a very solid community a long time after release though. Maybe I'll boot it up this weekend and check it out! :)

9. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've found my new shooter! The killzone 3 demo is out and I played it this evening and it rocks! Comes out Feb 23rd.

I probably won't buy it the day it comes out, I'll wait til it's available used at gamestop so I can get 10% off, so by mid march.

10. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

nice!!! i just played it too, war zone is sick!!! and operations is fun too :D

11. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I only played a few games of deathmatch last night cause every time it would try to connect to a game I'd either get error #2 or 5 and it would say my score wasn't going to count... But I'll give the game a break because it is just a demo