Looking for a good pair of headphones! (over-ear)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mgpg89, May 3, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm looking for a good pair of over-ear headphones with a lot of BASS.

Recommendations?

thanks in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I had to return a pair of Sony MDR-V600s because the bass was too strong. I exchanged them for the more balanced MDR-V6s.

3. Golden Master macrumors member

Sennheiser PX 100. The best portable headphones I've ever had. IME better than cans costing 3-4 x as much.

They're an open design though so they may not fare so well in very noisy environments.

4. kvasir macrumors regular

+1 on the PX100s. I got them for $25 after rebate. They have great sound and have been durable. The cord is extra long though!

5. McKnight macrumors member

McKnight

+1 again on the 100's, got a pair a few days ago with my new shuffle. They're amazing, truly perfect sound and as always with apple approved products, stunning design quality.

6. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

OK, I'll keep an eye out for the PX100's.
    I just can't imagine that a €50 pair of headphones that look that fragile have proper bass, but I guess looks can be deceiving.

I'll go check them out tomorrow.
    Any other models I have to keep an eye out for? (price is not an issue)

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

One other thing ... I see the cheapest noise-cancelling headphones on the Apple store already cost a few hundred euro's more than the average headphones ... anyone had any experience with these?

8. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I've had a set of Bose around-ear headphones for about 8 years now and they are still fantastic.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Active noise-canceling headphones like the Bose models work for some things, but if noise covers a broad part of the spectrum (say, a vacuum cleaner) they aren't going to work. Good old mechanical isolation is the way to go.

10. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

So noise-cancelling only works if there's a constant noise ?

And can you recommend a pair of headphones that isolate well?

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, they work pretty well if the spectrum of sound is limited. I'm just saying for things like vacuum cleaners and airplane engines I've found they fail miserably.

I did above- the Sony MDR-V600s had a fairly powerful bass response that was unacceptable to me, but might be what you're looking for. They isolate via insulation only as opposed to active noise cancellation.

12. woodymanp macrumors newbie

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro phones are amazing, and provide great isolation & noise canceling without any active technology. They were designed for studio monitoring, and are especially popular for drum monitor headphones because of their great isolation and bass response.

The only downside I can find with mine is their size. If these folded for carrying they'd be even more amazing... but if you're more concerned with good sound than you are with putting them in a bag these are worth a look.

13. egghead1993 macrumors newbie

AKG 518 le/DJ - only £31 on Amazon, great bass, good expensive feel to them.

14. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I use the bose NC 3s. They are very good. I got them at a very good price with the exchange rate and so I am very happy.

I can recommend them and I am a bit of an audiophile.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Most of the Sennheiser's do a pretty good job at bass (I have an old pair of HD570's). I don't use them with any kind of pre-amp, just the built-in output on the MBP.

16. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Err, the Bose ones I mentioned are not noise canceling, they just have big cups, around the ear, and therefore isolate sound the traditional way!