Looking for a good pair of headphones

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by UndertheRadar, Aug 28, 2007.

1. UndertheRadar macrumors member

Hey any recommendations for a good set of headphones? I need them for final cut and soundtrack pro. I'm willing to spend up to 150USD. Thanks...:)

2. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

akg 241S AMAZING headphones great reference(meaning that they dont have hyped bass and treble)

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i like the sony mdr 7506 for music and location work. decently comfortable, too.

4. MacInbowl macrumors newbie

I have a pair or Beyer DT250 and really like it. Accurate and comfortable. I also use the sony 7506 on tour 'cause it can handle loud volume.

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

The Sony MDR 7506 is indeed a very popular choice in the professional audio/video world, not because it's the best (it probably isn't) but because it is so widely spread that it is a de facto reference. Monitoring with headphones is a little tricky in that you can hear details you wouldn't hear with loudspeakers, so it's usually frowned upon - but the concensus is that if you do have to monitor with headphones (e.g., because multiple people work in the same room on different projects), it is beneficial to make everybody use the same model of headphones, such that at least everybody hears the same thing.

- Martin

6. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys and gals! I think I'll go with the sony's.:)

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I am also looking for some good headphones since I'm moving into an apartment and won't be able to crank my monitors as much as I can now.

So my question is for the sony headphones - would I need a headphone amp with these? If so what's a good brand?

Thanks

8. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

Just want to thank the other guys for the suggestion. I ended up buying the Sony MDR7506 from amazon and boy are they worth it. I honestly tell you that the film i'm editing sounds ten times better than it did before the headphones. I strongly encourage you try it out. :)

9. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

I used a pair of MDR 7506s for a while. They sounded good, but I couldn't wear them for extended periods of time (more than a half hour or so if I recall correctly) because the pressure the pads put on my ears started to really hurt. After a couple months I bought a pair of AKG K240s, which don't really touch your ear at all, but rather sit around it. I'm pretty happy with them :)

10. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hi,

The Bose In-Ear headphones [99$] sound INCREDIBLE (I own them) and also for that purpose the Bose Around-Ear headphones [139$] do the job as well and maybe a bit better due to their around-ear nature. I insist in Bose as they are one the best brands for audio devices and yet are not sooo expensive, besides they do sound superb. Hope this helped.

-Victor

11. Sonic macrumors regular

For my money, it's all about the Senheiser HD25's. Sound very true, loud and are very comfortable.

12. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

The Grado SR125's are perfectly in your budget, $150

13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

For DJ and heavy bass, sealed: Denon Dj hp-1000 for about $150-$180.

For DJ and balance of everything, sealed: Ultrasone Proline 750 for about $399. I got mines for $299.

Little brother has the denons and loves them.
    I have the Ultrasone and love them.

Remember, don't put up the volume too loud, you do not want to lose your hearing.

14. gotzero macrumors 68040

Sennheiser HD-280 , probably the best bang for the buck out there, but you do pay a dork tax (they are not the best as far as looks).

I use Shure E5s, Pioneer HDJ-1000s, and HD-280s for my live and studio mixing/DJing/producing/listening.

The Shures ($$$) isolate the best, and sound the best, but it hurts to insert and remove them a lot (not the best for DJing), and often, the block out too much ambient noise for the environments I am in. The Pioneers ($$) look the best and isolate very well. They are a bit bass heavy, so I default to them a lot for lazier DJing (and b/c they look better, yes I am vain like any other live performer in history...). The HD-280s ($) are the most comfortable, and isolate well while providing an accurate representation of the sound you are monitoring. They are also about $80US. There is reason why you will see them everywhere... I have one pair of the Shures, two pairs of the Pios, and 6-8 of the 280s at any given time (we use them for radio/band production, general listening, etc) I would highly recommend them as your first set of serious headphones. Get a pair of monitors to complement them before you start buying $200-500 sets of headphones.

15. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I have to agree with gotzero. The Sennheiser HD280 Pro is going to run you $90-120 and has superb frequency response and a very comfortable (if goofy looking) circumaural design... that is, they seal the entire ear. These are great for loud monitoring even in a library... you can't hear the outside world and they can't hear your music. Plus as large as they are, they're pretty lightweight and they sit very comfortably without giving you that cauliflower ear feeling after hours of use. Only drawback is you might get sweaty from the unvented design... but you won't get outside interference throwing you off either.

MDR-7506 and MDR-7509 by Sony are supposed to be pretty good studio headphones, as well... but I haven't used them extensively enough to comment. Personally, the HD 280 Pro does the trick though.