Looking for a good replacement for 'Finder'

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macdroid, May 24, 2011.

1. macdroid macrumors member

So I bought a 2011 MBP the second they were announced, and I am pretty happy with the machine, considering this is my first mac. However, I am having a hard time getting used to 'Finder', because compared to its Windows counter part (explorer), Finder is an absolute frustrating joke, and feels like using plastic toy tools to build a skyscraper.

I am hoping someone can suggest a decent alternative (so far, I haven't found anything good), because I doubt I will ever get used to it (unless they make major improvements in the next version).

So I am all ears, don't care if it is commercial software, as long as there is a trial version. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

Pathfinder is what I found earlier today, but looks like it isn't under active development anymore.

XFile/ACP is another one I tried.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Just curios, why do you find it lacking? Maybe I just used explorer differently then you but when I made the switch I didn't notice a real difference between the them.

6. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

No cut & paste, stability is a major issue, especially when using network drives, quick navigation between various directories on different drives can be pretty painful, and various other miscellaneous issues.

I just tried Path Finder, and while it does look promising, it made my MBP spin both its fans to maximum speed, so I'll have to do some more testing, since that would be a show stopper.

I am sure I still have a lot to learn, since this is my first OSX machine, but so far, Finder is the only bad experience.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Maybe I am not understanding but the default action for copying a file between to finder windows is "cut & paste". Alternatively the right click menu offers an option to copy and paste.

As far as network drives, and obviously this is only my experience, I never have had any problems with them, they have been flawless. Obviously your experience does not match mine... depending on the exact issues it might be worth looking into your setup.

8. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

Unless I am missing something, copy/paste duplicates the file, while I want to 'move' the file. There are work arounds, but not as efficient as using 'Control-X' (in the Windows world).

As for the stability issues, they are pretty well documented, and looks like they have been around for years (basically Finder crashes, and usually the only fix is to manually execute a few commands or reboot the system).

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Guess I am just lucky then when it comes to my network drives... I am sure that tomorrow now that I said that everything will have gone to hell.

Right, using the menu, copy / paste duplicates the file. If I simply drag the file from one finder window to the other it acts like cut & paste, I will try and see if there are any settings related to that but I believe it is the default behavior.

10. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Have you looked at TotalFinder? It's more like a finder plugin rather than a seperate app, but it brings many improvements such as cut and paste and tabs.

11. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

I will have to admit - I feel the same way. Bought my first Mac in March (an iMac) and bought a MPB in April. I absolutely LOVE both systems and couldn't wait to drop Micro***** like a bad habit. However, the one place where MS excelled is their explorer. Finder is cumbersome to say the least. I hate having to 1) select files, 2) copy (or drag) the files to a different location, 3) RE-drag the files from the original location to the trash and then 4) empty the trash - all to just MOVE files from one drive to another. A simple CTRL-A, CTRL-X, CTRL-V is SOOOO much easier.

So, I too would be interested in an alternative.

However, if this is the only issue I've found with the Mac OS - it's STILL worth it rather than going back. :D

12. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Do you know that you can hold down the command button while dragging between separate drives to move the files?

Also holding down alt/option causes finder to copy rather than move, if you want to copy a file to another folder on the same drive.

Note that the little (+) on the cursor indicates that the files will be copied, so you can tell what it's going to do, and then hold down the appropriate key to make it do what you want.

13. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D

AWESOME ! Thank you for the tip Dark Dragoon!

I don't mind having to hold down an extra key.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

14. coops macrumors regular

I've used Pathfinder, and still have it... but now just use Totalfinder.

It enables keyboard shortcuts for cut & paste of files/folders, and also dual panes if you like.

Another great feature is the 'visor' - i've got it setup (think it's the default setting) that a double press on the option key brings up the totalfinder window, and it auto disappears on a click on any other window or opening a file etc from the finder (this can also be turned off at will by 'pinning it').

recommended.

15. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

Renaming files

One other issue I have is an easier way to rename files and folders. In MS explorer, it's simply right-click, rename. In Finder, the only way I know how is to get info and rename it there.

Is there an easier way? :confused:

Thanks again for the help!

16. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Select file/folder, press enter.

Edit: Or you can click once on the file/folders name, then pause so it's not a double click, then click on it again.