Looking for a good set of speakers for a desktop...recommendations please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Oct 31, 2007.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a new 24" aluminum iMac and an old set of Cambridge Soundworks PC Works computer speakers which are a pair of satelites and a small floor sub. And while I have an :apple:tv to stream to my stereo and an airport express, not to mention the built-ins on the iMacs aren't bad, I am looking for recommendations for a nice set of desktop speakers. Preferably something that looks good.

I like Klipsch but am not a fan of the Promedia 2.1 or GMX A-2.1. I did however see the Groove PM20 in Black, I assume there is no silver version? And wondered if anyone has the PM20, likes them or what other set with or without a sub you would recommend. Not looking for a 5.1 setup or a HTIB system. Budget about $60-150 but would prefer not to break $100.

Thanks.

2. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I have the m-audio studiophile av-40's and really love them. Very bold, plenty of bass, very good reproduction. I think you'll like them. Volume knob, audio input and headphone jack on the front. Plenty of wiring options on the back. Attractive, go well with the Al iMac. Paid $150 at Guitar Center.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV40-main.html

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

They look good and look like they will sound great. I'm guessing they don't have a grille. I suspect my wife will insist on something that doesn't as it tends to look less obtrusive. They are also a bit bigger than I was hoping for. But will keep them in mind. Thanks.

4. chedda macrumors 6502

Yamaha NX-U10

I have some old Harmon Kardon sound sticks which are still good plus i think a classic. Otherwise i like the style of the Altec Lansing FX6201 but i cannot vouch for the sound. The model i always fancied was the Yamaha Although these speakers can be powered by usb alone i know Yamaha make some fantastic musical instruments so i reckon they would be good for desktop and travel just my 2 cents...

5. chris89 macrumors newbie

i've got a pair of Altec Lansing VS4121. i paid $100, and for the price i'd say they are the best speakers that you can get. crisp sound and plenty of bass

6. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I saw the VS4221s, they both look nice.

7. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Just curious why you don't like the Klipsch ProMedias? I have the 2.1's, been using them for 2+ years, & think they're great for music...

8. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't like the look of them. Until yesterday I didn't know there was the 2.1 and the GMX 2.1 I had only seen the GMXs. I like something more discreet, with a grille. And I know if I spend $$ on something that isn't at least aesthetically pleasing, I will hear it from my wife. That's why when I saw the Groove PM20s, I thought they might be a good solution.

I assume the Promedia 2.1 (non GMX) have a grille.

9. hsotnicaM macrumors regular

Has anyone ever used Logitech V20 Portable Speaker System? I'm looking for a good pair of speakers that is USB powered.

10. Megatron macrumors regular

It's a shame you don't like the look of them - for the $150 budget I don't think you can beat the sound quality from the Klipsch ProMedia on a 2.1 system. I listened to a lot of different 2.1 systems when I purchased these and the sound quality difference was night and day.

11. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Are you talking the regular 2.1 or the GMX A-2.1?

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

IMO you can't go past the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II. Currently they're on sale at Amazon We have two sets at home (upstairs and downstairs) and use them all the time.

13. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I own the Logitech z4 speakers in white to match my macbook and am impressed...the sound quality is good and the price isn't too high either.
    I think the black Logitech z4s would go nicely with the aluminum iMac.

14. djkny macrumors 6502

AudioEngine 5's. The best desktop speakers out there, period. :)

15. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

The regular...GMX sux...

16. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

17. nyprospect macrumors 6502

18. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

19. bocomo macrumors 6502

i have the jbl creatures

i really like the sound although i know the looks will be a love it or hate it thing

20. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I have the JBL Creatures and love them as well. However, the JBL Spots are much nicer looking and I've heard nothing but good things.

21. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a