Looking for a good sleeve and backpack set up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustsomedudeIRL, Aug 19, 2010.

1. JustsomedudeIRL macrumors member

I'm going to the Apple store to purchase a 13" laptop today! Thanks to those who offered their opinions.

Now I'm in the market for a laptop sleeve and backpack. I'm one of those people who like to buy things that are still made in America, and I've found two products that fulfill that.

Chrome Backpacks and Colcasac Sleeves

Are these products worth the price premium? The reason I'm interested in the Chrome Backpacks is that they say they are weather proof (which is important for where I live) and extremely tough. Does anyone have experience with Chrome products? Also, I'm not sure which size to get. I'll probably need to fit in a text book, a macbook, and a few single subject notebooks.

Now onto the Colcasac products. Once again, does anyone have experience with this companies products? Do they offer nice protection?

I'm open to suggestions so feel free to try and sell me on a particular company or item.

2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

3. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Wow, that's a great sleeve.... I might add that to my choices as well!

Here are some other interesting ones (I especially like the denim):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032Y2OZA/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3FL32NN8RMSDM

http://www.amazon.com/CushCase-Corduroy-Sleeve-Apple-MacBook/dp/B003EWPR7M/ref=pd_sbs_misc_1

I'm currently torn between those (I love the fabric/sleeve combo), and Booq Vyper M3 (can't beat the protection!).... no add this in.... hmmmmmm??? :confused:

Great find on your part, OP....

4. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Oooh, I just saw yours was the 13" MBP.... Amazon has the sleeves for those as well, and there is also an equivalent Booq product..... so still a valid comparison :D

5. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

6. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Are you going camping with that chrome backpack? Thats what it looks like it's used for.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I use this sleeve:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computer/categories/carrying_cases/1/accessories/VD516AA

with this backpack:

http://www.oakley.com/catalog/products/ap-backpack-3-0

Yes, I know the sleeve is for an HP but me not care. I got mine dirt cheap and it has a little zippered pocket for accessories. Love the backpack in that it's not too huge and not too small. It's primarily an "urban" backpack so it's pretty slim in profile and has a ton of pockets for pretty much anything you can think of. Only "issue" I have with the backpack is that it has a drawstring closure on the main pocket.

8. JustsomedudeIRL thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the good suggestions so far! I'd still like to hear from someone who owns the products I mentioned in the OP.

I just want peace of mind when I'm walking through a rain storm or heavy snow fall while carrying a $1200 laptop or anything of value.

9. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I use this backpack and sleeve together: Sleeve & Backpack

Then I'll use this sleeve if I'm not using my backpack: Sleeve

10. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I wouldn't be carrying my $1200 laptop in a rain storm or heavy snow storm. Just sayin'.

11. JustsomedudeIRL thread starter macrumors member

Some of us don't have that luxury. Just sayin' ;)

How is that backpack though? Likes and dislikes. I was originally looking at the white version of it.

12. aznpride macrumors newbie

i would recommend the new incase sleeve, try looking on ebay for more reasonable prices though

13. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

sleeve:
    http://foofshop.com/

&
    daypack:
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-daypacks/recon_2.html

loving this combo so far :cool:

edit; i saw that you wanted Colcasac Sleeves, i wanted that initially too but then i read reviews about how it sheds a lot and gets into the MBP. i just bought foof instead. it does its job, protects my macbook from textbooks and etc. although thenorhface recon already has a mini laptop holder, just wanted a little more protection

14. JustsomedudeIRL thread starter macrumors member

Those foof sleeves look very nice! My only concern is that it's exposed on one end.

I was also looking at getting The Northface Recon or Surge, but ultimately decided I didn't want a bag that 90% of the people around here have. I might reconsider though, because people only have positive things to say about it.

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I use this as a sleeve (nice pricing from Amazon):
    /www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tucano+second+skin&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3931941321&ref=pd_sl_4mhtw1tmlg_e

And I have an Addidas soccer back back i had sitting around-nothing really fancy. Any backback will do, IMO.

16. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I would invest in an umbrella, Just sayin'. :cool:

17. neccoloup macrumors member

I am a longtime Chrome customer. Infact I received a new Chrome citizen bag and the laptop case today. They are amazing and work great together. Buy now. do it.

18. JustsomedudeIRL thread starter macrumors member

I just got back from a backpack hunt. I checked out some of The North Face backpacks and they aren't for me. Personally I find they have too many clips, buckles, zippers, strings, and more clips.

I managed to come across a store that carried Chrome backpacks. Wow, was I ever impressed. When it comes to material and build quality these things are stellar. I think I'm going to spend the extra cash to buy a Chrome bag, never look back, and never buy a backpack again.

Touche.

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000