Looking for a good Time Machine Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markw10, Jan 1, 2008.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I am looking for a good External Hard Drive to use with my MBP running Time Machine. I have looked at the MyBook Studio Edition since it is quad interface. I know the Mac doesn't support eSATA but I think it will before long. I most likely will use the Firewire 400 or Firewire 800 port on my MBP and am looking for something that holds 750GB since my MBP has a 250GB HD.
    I have looked at the various Western Digital My Book's such as the Pro Edition with the 3 interfaces but also am wondering if something from Seagate, Maxtor, Lacie, or OWC would be better.

2. GregE macrumors 6502

I went with the Guardian MAXimus from OWC.

I liked that it was a RAID 1 array so my data was mirrored on 2 drives. I bought the empty unit and purchased my own drives to go in it. It was very easy to install the drives and set up on my iMac.

I partitioned the space so most of it went to TimeMachine, although I haven't activated it yet, and some for my video editing.

It doesn't have eSATA but does have Firewire 400, 800, and USB.

I probably will get a DROBO when they come out with a Firewire 800 version.

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I like the Western Digital MyBook lines. I have a 500GB essentials edition and it's a really good HDD. I got it on black friday for like almost 75 dollars off.

4. tsd macrumors regular

If you look at the Apple site's User Discussions, there are quite a few complaints about the MyBook series. I don't remember exactly what they are (sorry), but I know I've seen a lot of complaints when I was searching through topics. However, my brother-in-law recently got a MyBook Pro for his G4 iBook, and he loves it. I would go and check out those forums though.

Good luck!

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I've got 2 Seagate FW/USB drives (400GB and 300GB) that perform flawlessly.

7. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i have a mybook pro 500 GB and it works great-in fact I have had no problems using it in time machine at all-i have never had to do a full restore as of yet(luckily) but when i have needed the occassional file or so it has been great

8. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

any price conscious suggestions in the 300gb range?

9. kkachurak macrumors regular

I really want to get a high performing 7200rpm, 3.5" 1TB - 2TB disk, pop it into a cheap external enclosure, and place that inside a light up replica of a Flux Capacitor.

And then, every time I launch Time Machine and the disk spins up, the Flux Capacitor will start going all crazy.

10. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

That would be awesome

11. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I cannot speak more highly of an external HD than the products put out by G-tech. They are well priced, aesthetically fit the Apple look, and remain cool and dead quite without a fan. I am very happy with my 500GB G-tech and never had a single problem with it. It seems to be out of stock on apple.com, but I am sure is available in a number of other places.

12. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I thought you two would enjoy this. I came across it only yesterday strangely enough. http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/misc-gadgets/flux-capacitor/ :D

13. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast