Looking for a good Webcam for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AubreyL, Feb 4, 2008.

1. AubreyL macrumors newbie

I just purchased a Mac Pro not long ago and one thing I miss having is the iSight camera that my MBP has. I know in the past Apple made an iSight camera that could be hooked onto a Mac Pro. Are they coming out with an updated Camera? Are there any good 3rd party cameras I should look for? I prefer something that hooks up via USB and that would also have a Mic so I can use it for voice recording even when not using the camera.

2. parkie macrumors member

3. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

You can check eBay. You can find some people selling theirs. Other then that, I can't be much help. But check eBay for the old iSight.

4. jakeacc macrumors regular

At work, all of our Mac Pros have the Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000

It gives great quality and works well in dark-lit environments. (it brightens the image if its too dark) It also comes with software to add visual effects to your webcam feed.

It has a bendable neck so you can lay it on a CRT monitor or clampt it down on top of a flat LCD monitor.

iChat instantly recognized the webcam when i plugged it in and have yet to have any problems.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'd recommend staying away from eBay for them, since prices are ridiculously high. There are bids out there now for $300+ on used ones. Save your money and get one of the Logitech cameras.

6. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 works great. If you search around you can get the camera for around $60 after rebates.

8. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I bought a Logitech Quickcam Ultra Vision, sometimes you will see deals on them, it works ok, and the microphone on it works in OS X as well so that is a plus.

The problem I ran into is that it seemed slightly grainy for some reason or another. Seemed like it wasn't gonna run as well without its XP software doing whatever tweaks to the video it needed to do, or maybe it was getting the video in a higher resolution and scaling it down and that was causing jaggies or something. Whatever it was, it was annoying.

I ended up buying a used isight on the forums here, there have been some people selling them for a decent amount. Looks like there is one for sale for $160 if you don't mind spending that. Otherwise, a lot of USB webcams will work with OS X now.

9. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I second the Logitech Quickcam 9000... I went through all the models up to this one, and this was definitely my favorite! I highly recommend it. I believe I got mind for around 60 when there was a sale at best buy.

10. Vermyndax macrumors newbie

Quickcam 9000

Does the Quickcam Pro 9000 come with software for OS X 10.5.2? I see on Logitech's site that it's only listed as compatible with Windows. Should I get this or just wait for Apple to come up with a new cam? (I just got a new Mac Pro).

11. DocMacPS macrumors newbie

DocMacPS

UVC compliant USB webcams the smart choice

A half dozen good web cam choices for your Mac Pro setup are listed here: http://mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ These UVC compliant cams JUST WORK on a modern Mac running OS X 10.4.9 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard. No driver hassles. Waaaaay too many webcams just don't work on a Macintosh or require so much futzing that choosing one of the few readily available UVC models from as little as $35 to $125 is the smart choice now and for the future.

12. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

What about built in microphones? That was the nice thing about the iSight cameras. They had both the camera and the microphone.

13. snipes macrumors newbie

The built-in microphone in my quickcam pro 9000 works fine. At least it has for me in the releases 10.5.1/10.5.2 I've tried.

14. Vermyndax macrumors newbie

Webcam

I actually dug out my Canon Elura 65 miniDV cam and hooked it up to the firewire interface. I'm able to get a GREAT webcam with it and the built-in mic works surprisingly well. Got this tip from an Apple guy I know... much happier with that setup :)

15. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

Software for QuickCam Pro 9000

I have the same issue as Vermyndax has stated. My cam works fine, very crisp and clear picture, but unable to zoom in or out (controls) to adjust view, lighting, color and so on. Has anyone found a work around?

16. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I've been very happy with the quality I'm getting with my Logitech Orbit AF - no driver installation needed, just plug it in and go...

-Bryan

17. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I'll second the support for the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. Works great except that I can't zoom in or out.

OT: When is Apple going to build an "iDisplay" with integrated USB, FireWire, SuperDrive, speakers, webcam, microphone and monitor that plugs right into a Mac Pro or Mac Mini?! With a 10% mod, it would make a great docking station too! :rolleyes:

18. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

Logitech Cams are my favorite. I would suggest anyone in that line.

19. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Sounds like a great setup. Just wondering if there are any downsides to this? Do you need some special software etc?

I've been looking at the iSight cameras on ebay and I just can't justify paying the ridiculous prices for what is now old technology and in most cases a second hand product. Those sellers must be laughing their heads off.

I wish Apple would release a replacement cam or more of the other webcam producers would offer software so that their products would work in OSX.

20. MaciPilot macrumors newbie

Found Mac version Logitech

I'm also in the market for a Mac compatible webcam for my iMac G5. I was at the Apple Store today and asked if they sell a Mac version webcam. The salesman went in the back room and came out with a Logitech Quickcam Ultra Vision that said Mac in the lower right corner of the box. This Mac version is not on the Logitech website, but it does exist. It's on the Apple website. Go to Store>Shop Mac>Accessories>Extras. The part number is 960-000172. The windows version is 960-00016. Apple sells it for $129.95 and free shipping. PC Connection also sells it. Their price is $119.95 with free shipping. There is a $45.00 rebate on the website, but it's only for the Windows version (960-000016). It's a USB 2.0 connection, has a 1.3MP HD (960x720) video camera and 1280x960 stills. Supports 16-bit color and up to 30 fps. It has a built-in mic that is echo free. It supports iChat, AIM and probably Skype and Google. It is not compatible with PhotoBooth or iMovie. It requires OS 10.4.11 or later. The lens is fixed focus. I have not purchased it yet, but I probably will soon. If anyone else gets one, a review would be appreciated.

Will Apple make an external iSight replacement? No one seems to know, but don't hold your breath.