Looking for a GT120

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Dec 1, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm looking to add a 2nd 24" LED ACD... Besides the marketplace here (already posted a WTB), can anyone recommend a good Mac online retailer or other reputable place that might sell a GT120 for less than Apple's ransom?

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Is there a specific reason you chose the GT120?

I'm also looking for a second graphic card but I don't know how the GT120 would compete against the 4870.
    Wouldn't it be pretty weird if for example Exposé on one display is as fluent as it should be while it's stuttering on the second display?

There are often some good deals on ebay for used 120s from people who updated their Pros.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I guess he wants the GT120 for the low energy and space requirement and the MDP to run the 24" LED.

4. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I really don't need a more powerful graphics card at this point. I don't game on this computer (got a PS3 for that) and very little software can take advantage of it. I assume by the time that software can take full advantage of a high-end GPU, something much better will be available with dual MDP ports and I can get rid of both my GT120's at that time.

For now, the GT120 is the most practical way to add a second MDP port. :eek:

BTW, I curse Apple for not fully embracing MDP and offering a card with dual MDP ports... why couldn't they offer a variant of the GT120 with dual DVI and another with dual MDP so people don't have to buy 2 freakin cards if they want to run dual monitors! :mad:

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I'm pretty sure that the next card (In the next Mac Pro) they release will have 2 or more Mini Displayports.

Hey, they might even go so far as to offer a 6 port 5870. It actually makes a lot of sense for them to do so. Now that Displayport can allow for monitor support beyond the traditional two, to the number of ports you put on the card.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've not seen a 3rd party retailer that carries them, not even OWC. eBay maybe, if one turns up.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know B&H and PC Connection both sell it; $150 no tax or shipping the last time I checked. I'd that's a little cheaper than Apple since you'd have to pay tax and possibly shipping with Apple.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: Hadn't seen them when I searched, but it's not at any discounts. :eek: :p

9. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I was in your exact dilema and ended up buying from b&h photo. I was about $30off retail plus another 10% off using bing cash back.

10. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

I share your thoughts.
    p.s. A PS3 here too but hardly game (actually, in cold storage for almost 1/2 year already)