Looking for a headset to use on my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elbirth, Jun 28, 2007.

1. elbirth macrumors 65816

I'm looking to get a headphone/mic combo for use on my mac pro, but in doing my preliminary research, I see references to people saying you have to have a mac-compatible one that plugs in via USB. Is this the case?
    Can I not just get a headset that has both a headphone plug and mic plug to use?

I'm planning to use it over Skype and checked their site for info on a mac-compatible headset but they don't mention if they are or not. I want something really basic and simple, and this one looks like one I'd be interested in (though I'd buy elsewhere to save a couple bucks.

Normally I would have assumed that any regular headset would work, but I seem to remember seeing some kind of mention about the input jack not being a normal input and needing some kind of pre-amp, so the best option is to go USB?

Can someone shed some light on this and offer up a good suggestion for a cheap headset that will work? I see some for $40 or $50, but don't want to put that kind of money into it.

2. phanboyjohn macrumors member

I currently use the Logitech USB 250--it's not the most comfortable, but it has good sound quality and I love it for Skype. The 350 is supposed to be good, but the mute button is poorly placed (resulting in many unintended mutings) and the regular microphones with a mic jack have apparently poor sound quality. I stand by my 250.

3. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks! I see the 250 for $25, which isnt too bad for something I now know for sure will work.
    After I made this thread I actually saw a pretty cheap Logitech headset on yugster.com for about $8, so I decided to give that a shot since it was so inexpensive. I've heard pretty decent things about it, so I'll see how it works on the Mac. If it doesn't doesn't give very good mic input due to using the regular mic jack, then I'll make sure it works ok on a PC and probably just send it to the person I'll be talking on skype with (she uses her laptop's internal mic currently and it does ok for now).

Thanks again!