Looking for a home/office printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CJC, Mar 5, 2013.

1. CJC macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am in need of a home/office BW & Color printer. I print more text than photos, and I do not need an "all-in-one" (print, scan, fax) device.

Can anyone suggest a very good printer (or printers)? Or does anyone know of a web site that could help me?

Thanks!

2. Weerez935 macrumors regular

I really like canon and epson printers.
    The new hps look better but I'm not sure if they last longer lol.

For under 100 bucks Walmart has some really nice epson / cannon printers.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Has it to be a laser printer, or, are you satisfied with an inkjet printer?

The initial outlay for an inkjet printer is lower (and, as has already been pointed out, both Canon and HP have good models) but the costs of the ink cartridges will add up, especially if your usage is, in any way, heavy.

My preference is for a small laser printer; I had a Dell (1100), a simple, small, sturdy black and white laser printer and it was excellent. Currently, I have a small Samsung laser printer, the ML-1640, and it, too is excellent, but prints only in black and white.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think folks are giving more praise these days to Canon or Samsung laser printers. Check dealnews.com and slickdeals.net for special deals on laser printers.

Check toner prices for the final comparison including any electronic chip you may have to get.

We have a Canon color laser and a Samsung B/W laser. Neither gets used a whole lot. I can refill the toner in the Samsung for $15.

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

This thread pretty much covers it, but the Epson Expression XP-600 might be what you want.
    It also comes in an Epson Expression XP-800 flavor, with an automatic feed, Ethernet and a build-in fax.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Apple sells you these along new Macs, so you known that they're decent and well supported.

Also, All-in-Ones cost the same as standalone printers these days, and if you happen to need a scanner or copier, it's just there.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Brother HL-2270DW both duplex, networked works great with Mac & Windows and is often on sale for under $100

I've got the DCP-7065DN (+scanner) works natively with OSX including scanning over the network.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Another nod for the Epson Airprint model...been using it trouble free for a year now...totally wifi, prints from my Macs, phone and ipad, is pretty cheap to run with separate cartridges, and has an excellent scanner too.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'll chime in with support for color laser rather than inkjet. Crisper images, less prone to humidity & temperature issues, faster, quieter, more reliable, and cheaper in the long run.

The Brother LED Page Printers are very nice & reasonably priced, I've had a few of those & never had a lick of trouble. Currently I use an Oki but they're pricier; more geared toward the business user.

Often you can get great prices on a previous model if you don't need features like AirPrint (and that capability can be added with handyPrint or Printopia).

9. jtrainor56, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

I have a color HP CP1025nw for almost two years. Works great has Ethernet and wireless and have had no problems. I also have a black only Brother HL5040 that I have had for about four years and use it regularly. It does not have wireless but I have it connected to a wireless router thru a USB and works fine.

Been using lasers at home for over 10 years, will never go back to ink jet!

BTW.. neither are all in one's, avoid them at all costs. I have a flat bed Epson scanner as well as a Pandigital portable scanner.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you really calc it out, it's pretty much the same. You have $22 for 500 pages on the Epson, $77.50 for 3000 pages on the Brother, but you have to replace the drum every 30.000 pages for $135. Not such a big difference after all.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's possible for some printer brands' ink to cost in the same price range as toner, but only under ideal usage. One factor is how much volume you print; if you print quite a lot your ink will generally last near the quoted yield, but if you don't go through a cartridge in 6 months or so it'll want to gum up and need to be replaced early. Also infrequent printing requires the printer to do a "nozzle clean" operation with relatively fewer pages between cleanings; that consumes some ink as well. Neither of these is an issue with toner.

The other benefits of toner-based printers that I mentioned are still significant as well.

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have an older Xerox 6180n that has been a great printer. Not great for photos but does other color tasks well. I don't like inkjets for day to day printing.