looking for a java , c++ and c# ide

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ytech, Oct 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ytech macrumors member

ytech

Hey,
    looking for a recommended ide for osx that supports java , c++ as well as c# .
    I should mention that I am familiar with xcode and eclipse and I am looking for something else.

Thanks

2. estorstenson macrumors member

I use BBEdit for C++ development, but it's more an editor than a full IDE. Depending on which IDE features you rely on, it may have them. I tend to turn most of that stuff off because I find it distracting.

I use PyCharm for python development, and they have tools for C++ and C# (and probably Java). It's generally unobtrusive and does a good job of giving visual cues for typos or whitespace issues which is helpful. (have a look at https://www.jetbrains.com/ ) I tried their C++ IDE out back when it was still in Beta and wasn't impressed, but I'm sure they've improved it.

Years ago, I used NetBeans for C++. It was originally designed for Java and might have support for C# now. There were some problems with a few releases made after Oracle bought Sun, and I quit using it. I have no idea what it's like now. It was kinda bloated, but not nearly as bad as Eclipse.

3. 960design macrumors 68020

Eclipse was what I used for Java development back in the day. ( more than 6 years ago ).

4. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors member

I totally agree about Eclipse being bloated! My company uses it for C development, but I can only think of two reasons why:

1. Cross-platform support (OS X and Windows).
    2. It's free. :rolleyes:

5. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

Let me add a 3rd reason: 'they' listen to you.
    When you file a (well documented) bug on their bugzilla, it is repaired in short time.
    I had bad experiences with some other IDE's.
    And I've been using Eclipse ever since 911 (coincidence).
    ;JOOP!

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Have you looked at Visual Studio Code? It's lightweight, fast and native and has plugins to support most languages (including C++, C# and Java)

It's also free :)

7. ytech thread starter macrumors member

ytech

I am familiar with Visual Studio Code , I used it for a while for C++ development . In my opinion its cute and very comfortable . but it doesn't give you a full ide solution like visual studio and other ides.

8. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors member

Agreed, the response to Eclipse bug reports is generally excellent. Another advantage is that Eclipse won't "go out of business" and leave you hanging. My company used to use CodeWright for C development on Windows. A really great IDE but it folded around 2003.

9. displayator macrumors newbie

JetBrains has 3 IDE for your purpose, IntelliJ IDEA for Java, CLion for C/C++ and Rider for C#. IntelliJ has a third party plugin for C++. They have a free trial period.

10. mbpowner macrumors regular

Hmm what about text editors such as sublime text?

Then you just save as x.java or x.py (for python) etc? Where x is the filename

11. robvas macrumors 68020

CodeLite? Thinking it might not do Java though...

12. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

That's not really an IDE.. it's a text editor.

IDE wise if you're willing to pay I highly suggest JetBrains products - I'm using IntelliJ now, but, they have an IDE for most languages and they are IMO industry best..

They even have a new one for Swift and a cross platform C# IDE :)