looking for a journaling app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Idaho Redneck, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Idaho Redneck macrumors newbie

I am looking for a program that I can use to keep a personal journal/diary. I would like it to have some of the features of a modern blog such as incorporating pictures, video, etc., but I would like everything stored locally. I am experimenting with Journler (http://www.journler.com/), but there are some things I don't like about it, and since I plan on using it regularly for years to come, I want it to be as perfect as possible. One thing I would definitely like is the option to change the date on entries since many of my entries are in retrospect. Also, it looks like Journler is going defunct. What do you all use?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Can you tell us what you don't like about it?

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

According to his original post, he said that they look like they are defunct.

I use Circus Ponies Notebook for work and it is quite good, so far nothing I couldn't do. I got it with one of those MacBundles for sale on the MacRumors home page; so for $40 I got this and a few other apps I actually use. Worth them money.

4. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

5. Idaho Redneck thread starter macrumors newbie

The two biggest things are that I can't edit the creation date (bad for procrastinators who want a daily entry), and that "resources", like pictures added to the entry, are linked to rather than copied. I've discovered a work-around by having it link, then moving the picture file to that entry's folder in finder, but it can get complicated locating the correct one.

6. bigwig macrumors 6502a

Double-click on the creation date. It will pop up a window that allows you to edit it.
    Media preferences don't work? Go to Preferences->Media. Click the "Copy the documents to my journal" button.

7. Idaho Redneck thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. I feel stupid.

Is there any way to incorporate audio and video when you export your journal to a more universal format, like pdf or html?

8. BravoBug macrumors newbie

If you don't mind me doing a little self-promotion, I'd like to mention my Mac diary app MiLife. It's in active development and has quite a few features, including audio/video/photo embedding, date changing, automatic date sorting, encryption, password protection, back-up tools, page exporting, diary-wide searching, ambient soundtracks, a Hide the Desktop tool, etc.

http://bravobug.com/milife

It also has some fun freeware add-on tools as well:

http://bravobug.com/milifeedit

Cheers~

9. Idaho Redneck thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked it out and it looks nice. Is there a way to export the embedded audio?