Looking for a KVM Swith ...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scariaga, Oct 31, 2009.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

That is independently powered, via ac adapter. Anybody know of one that has a decent price? Reason being that I'm trying to minimize how many usbs I have. Any ideas?

edit: thread title should be switch, oops

2. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

How many computers do you want sharing the keyboard, mouse and display?

How large of a display do you have? Is it VGA or DVI? (or something else?)

I have a 4 port DVI KVM from IOGear that is excellent. just sold a 16 way VGA one to a customer for their server room. It's so nice.

3. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

I only need to share one Samsung 20 inch monitor (I think VGA but I have the converter to DVI) btw my Mac Book Pro & a G5. Everything else is wireless so it's just the monitor I care about.

4. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Bluetooth, or USB wireless?

If Bluetooth, I don't know how you'll tell each system to start paying attention, and the other to stop listening when you switch displays.

5. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

Bluetooth, yeah I see what you're saying but I'm not going to have both computers on @ the same time. The other computer is really for my wife when I have the laptop with me @ work. I took a look at IOGear but it looks like they are all powered via usb or cord connection, no switches with an AC adapter.

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Ok, then I'd say a VGA A/B switch is what you're looking for. Should be way cheaper.

7. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

so do those need a power source via usb or ac adapter? if not that's even better

8. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

If it requires power at all, it would be an A/C adapter.

9. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

great. thanks :)

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Some have cables that obtain power off a USB port (as included in the packaging), with the ability to add an AC adapter (not expensive, but make sure it can provide the power requirement for the switch). Some include the AC adapters, but tend to be over $100USD from what I've seen.

11. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

A VGA switchbox won't have any USB ports involved. Just the video. If he does go with a KVM, once you get past the cheap ones, power won't be a problem.

Something else I just thought of, if his display supports two inputs, he could have one connected to the desktop, and the second one on the table and use the display's switch to go between the two systems. Both of the 24" displays on my desk have two inputs.

12. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Doesn't your monitor have both VGA and DVI inputs? In which case you don't need a switch - just connect BOTH the MBP and the G5 (one to VGA and one to DVI) and use the front panel input-select on your monitor, surely??

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

I made the presumption it didn't, as I got the impression the VGA -> DVI connnector was used because it didn't have a second port.

14. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

sorry just reading this now guys. I'm gonna check it out when I get home and update. thanks :)

15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Perhaps this isn't appropriate for what you want to do, but it's worth highlighting anyway... Teleport is a very elegant software solution that allows you to control another computer simply by moving your mouse pointer to one edge of your primary display.

16. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I feel like a bit of a putz for not realizing this but yeah I do have 2 inputs on my Samsung 204B. Which I assume the button that switches between digital to analog will allow me to swtich btw both?? What I'm also curious about is the adapter that I use on both of my Macs is supposed to be DVI however it appears slightly different then the DVI input on my Monitor. Do I need to buy a DVI cable and also an adapter to fit to the Apple DVI format?