Looking for a light & fast image browser

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Regal, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Regal macrumors regular

Regal

Hi all,

I just recently started using a mac and one of the first things i started looking for was a replacement for the Preview app.

I`m looking for a light & fast image browser that offers the following functionalities,

1. Being able to scroll back (opened pictures) with the backspace button & scroll forward with the space button.

2. Zoom in/out with the arrow buttons (up/down) and rotate picture with left/right.

3. Being able to open any random picture in a folder and then scroll forward/back from there without having to first select the pictures i want to view as with Preview.

I`ve tried Xee & Lyn so far but they lack some of the features i`m looking for.

Any tips are welcome :)

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

So, basically, you want an app that does what Preview does, but you want to use different buttons to achieve the same end result?
    You could change the keyboard shortcuts used in Preview, in System Preferences > Keyboard.
    Or use a Keyboard macro program like iKey or KeyboardMaestro.
    However, the keyboard shortcuts that Preview uses are pretty standard across OS X, so you would have to change them everywhere else if you wanted consistency.

Not quite sure what you mean by this? Do you mean like the Windows equivalent, which displays the next or previous image in the folder from arrow buttons in the app?

You can easily "preview" images in the Finder with QuickLook and scroll up and down from image to image, so if that's what you want to do, you don't need to use Preview.

3. Regal thread starter macrumors regular

Regal

Let me explain, lets say i have a folder with 50 pictures that i want to view through and the way Preview works, i first have to select all of these 50 pics and then i can scroll through (one by one) them.

What i'm looking for instead is a viewer that lets me open any random picture in this folder and then i can scroll from there without having to select any pics first. Hope you understand what i mean.

On my PC with windows 7 i use a program called "imageeye" that does exactly these things but unfortunately this app is not avaliable for the mac.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I think that's the behaviour I described, which I thought was standard on Windows -- the ability to view the preceding or subsequent file in the folder from the viewing app.

As I said: QuickLook in the Finder does this. Select a file in the Finder. Press <Space>. Then navigate in the usual way, with the up and down arrows will view each file in turn.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

ACDSee has always been pretty popular on Windows, and I see they now have a Mac version. Might do the trick for you.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I do this in my Pictures folder (Users/MyUserName/Picture/) by highlighting the first picture's name then hitting the space bar to invoke QuickLook and while QuickLook is still open I just use the up arrow and down arrow to quickly see all my pictures, with open any program open.