Looking for a Mac Desktop G5 or better..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ipodrocker, Mar 24, 2010.

1. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

Hi

I have a a question, at the moment im using my macbookpro as my main computer and there is times i sit at it for serveral hours at a time while im doing work.

My main question is im thinking of getting a desktop so im not overheating the laptop all the time.

I have been looking at either a iMac or one of the older G5 Powermacs.

I will be using the desktop for Graphic Design, Web Design, Flash Development and the usual bits.

In relation to budget im not tied but I know i dont need a Mac Pro at that price doubt I would need all that power!

What are peoples thoughts?

2. dellar macrumors newbie

dellar

Forget PPC

I'd go for a used iMac Core2Duo or better. PPC G5 is a deadend.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

minis are a solid cheap option.

iMacs' splicity is bliss.

I know a lot of people bemoan the iMacs lack of expandability, and to a certain extent they're correct, to me iMacs meet the actual need for most people, esp with the spectacular ISP displays. And with 4RAM slots CS5 is looking sweet.

4. akbc macrumors 6502

Even the base iMac (current model) is much better than the G5 for your needs. :)

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have been looking at either a iMac or one of the older G5 Powermacs"

If you don't NEED "legacy support" - the ability to run older applications and the ability to run in "Classic mode" - you should probably lean towards the iMac.

Others will say that the g5 is a "dead end", but for those of us who DO use legacy apps and Classic, it represents the best "end of the line".

The g5 towers are built like tanks. I would avoid those with liquid cooling, though (the faster models). If you decide for a g5, I'd suggest either a 1.8 or 2.0 dual-processor model.

I would also suggest you avoid the latest iMacs as well, unless you are well-versed in the problems that they seem to be having. Instead, the best iMac value to be had right now is a refurbished higher-end 24" model from Apple's online store. Big discounts on these from the original price.

6. rpang macrumors member

A current gen Mac Mini can run circles around a dual processor G5. But if you can find a G5 for cheap, and you dont need to have the latest to run the latest apps, then its a really good machine. Be careful though, cause I dont believe them to be built like tanks. If you search around, at this time frame, a lot of the G5s are experience power supply and logic board failures.

Also, for Flash Development, you may want an intel machine.