Looking for a Mac RSS Reader, 'like an offline Google Reader'!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingcodez, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I just tried NetNewsWire, and Vienna, NNW is nice but Google Reader has a great feature that these both are without.

In GReader, when I mouse over or scroll down it marks that one article as read. No pushing buttons, clicking next, nothing. Just read.

I want to be able to pre-download all of my current unread items, AND the pictures. Gears for GReader does NOT download the pictures. I have a lot of picture only feeds, like lolcats, that I would like to let build up for a week and then on my long plane ride home, check out.

In NNW I can smash the space bar and get this accomplished, but I'd rather just scroll through, or at least have the option to.

I don't really like the look of Vienna, it's too unpolished, NNW is a tad better and has better options for like the prefs.

It would also be interesting to be able to give specific instructions, or adjust certain settings on a per-feed basis. Such as filter out cartain keywords (Without using a service such as feedrinse).

I hat vienna because once I click on a feed, it marks everything as read. That's bad for me as I sometimes just open a mega feed and read one or two items. I have maby 20 or 30 feeds, but usually get 2-300 new items a day. Most are junk like Joystick, but I like to sit down and go through the important ones while im taking a break or eating lol.

I know you can't but it'd be interesting to allow some feeds to auto queue an embedded movie, let me view it offline (or off my VPN).
    I'm in China so I can't load certain feeds on the ChinaNet. I open a post linking to youtube, and there's a big blank box where the vid should be. But this is an advanced feature, I would never expect anyone to have this. Plus the disk space it'd hog.

2. forcemajeure macrumors newbie

3. Sir Lorad macrumors member

4. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Gruml is nice, but NNW has the 'unified' interface I see on a few of these, gruml does not. I wanna scroll through a feed not click on every little title.

I cannot stand Shrook, Looks like an iTunes 6 rip off lol.

I guess I'll have to stick with NNW until I find a good mac/ipad app.

Thanks though.

5. forcemajeure macrumors newbie

6. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Yeah I run a 13" MBP, until they iron out the graphics issues I really don't want a 15".

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm interested in hearing other suggestions as well. I liked NNW until they switched over to Google Reader Sync. GRS updates too slowly and there are certain feeds that I need to be able to update immediately - you can't (or couldn't) do that from within NNW. Instead you had to log into GRS, update feeds, then update NNW. I moved to Vienna, which has been ok, except that I'm finding that it's getting slower and slower :-(.

8. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I really like NNW, it has a lot of prefs options, and it can download and arc your feeds, the only problem is it dosen't download images, which make up 40% of my feeds. I don't think any of these do that actually. I just tried newsfire but they don't have the 'combined view' that I like (the ability to scroll through all items in your feed).

I want stuff to be marked as read onmouseover, and I wanna be able to scroll through my whole feed, and also download images for offline use, I don't care if it'll take up 4 gigs, it's ok. lol.
    Newsfire just opens your item in a browser, a non built in browser. All you can see is a headling and like the first sentence and you have to open up firefox or whatever to check the rest.

Poor.

9. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

10. Meromo macrumors newbie

Good luck with your search. I've been keeping half an eye out for years and have yet to see a feed reader other than Google reader that will let me read one long page of all my feeds simply by hitting space...space...space.
    The others all seem to like the "click a title, wait for it to load in another pane, read it, click another title, wait for it to load, decide you don't want to read that one, click anther title..." method.
    So I suspect that people like you and me are the odd ones out, sadly.

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

You are definitely not alone. That is why I use Google Reader via Fluid.

12. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Why?

NNW you can jam the space bar, but I'm so used to scrolling, that I forget to click or hit the space bar, so I get 5-10 things in and thn remember that none of that was marked as read so I have to go back and do stupid stuff.

13. Darwin-ksh macrumors newbie

Miro

Miro is pretty great for RSS. Good interface, and it has a lot of other features as well. And it's very actively developed.

14. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

NewsFire does exactly that. Just hit space to advance through all your unread items. You can even choose if space pages down the article before advancing to the next one.

Only problem is NewsFire won't sync with anything, I'd like to have some way to sync between my Mac, iPhone and iPad.

Ideally I want something as simple and good looking as NewsFire but with some sort of syncing.

Edit: I guess if you're set on only having that one list NewsFire isn't good, but all my articles load super fast, even with images, so I've never found that an issue. Guess we're all still looking for the perfect reader.

15. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

What about Socialite? It's free (with Ad support). I use it extensively.

16. asgr8 macrumors member

What about reeder for Mac I think it's in beta but pretty stable. Check it out.

17. kalex macrumors 65816

Wow. Thanks for the pointer. I was looking for good reader and so far its working great