Looking for a MacBook Pro as backup to my macpro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveOooo, Dec 14, 2016.

1. steveOooo, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

steveOooo macrumors 6502a

im a pro fcpx editor and edit using a 2010 Mac Pro - currently running el crapitan and fcpx 10.2.2

Looking for a contingency plan as I need a same day delivery for a client and would be screwed if I went to edit on my MacPro and it was dead.

Hate the idea of having 128gb ssd in my MacBook Pro - it's not 2005 anymore, I'd want 500-1tb min of space

So, any recommendations on a 13-15" mbp that has a spinning disc or perhaps I could take the SuperDrive out and add a ssd for a diy fusion drive (I have a ssd/ spinning disc combo on my MacPro). Is this possible with mbp? Ssd for your apps, 2.5" 5400rpm disc for your storage.

Not massively bothered on spec, as long as it works in an emergency (even if it adds an hour or two of rendering) but I guess dedicated amd graphics would be good.

Depending on spec I would create proxy files from 4K 100mbps h264 camera rushes (gh4), edit, then export - just a 3 min video.

Any suggestions on older machines to get - say from 2013 and up? Going the fleabay root. Any machines to avoid

Could I add a 1tb ssd to this mid 2014 machine? https://support.apple.com/kb/SP703?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB

How does intel iris graphics work with fcpx - is it as good as using amd?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Anything 2013 and newer comes with a proprietary connected SSD as standard and cannot be upgraded easily or cheaply you'll have to buy one with the SSD size you want.

You will want a 15 inch for the quad core and better graphics any ne late 2013 onwards will be a great machine and the 2012 aren't bad either with the nvidia 650m graphics.

3. geachy92 macrumors regular

Following on from the comment above, my friend runs a 2012 15" Pro, the last before the full switch to Retina. It still has a decent CPU and the SuperDrive can be swapped out for an SSD if needs be, that's what my friend has done.
    It also has a dGPU that, if I'm not mistaken, has had few issues compared to other dGPU options over the years. Probably a decent buy for your needs.