Looking for a MBP messenger bag in addition to my InCase sleeve, details inside.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Taylor C, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Hopefully you guys can help me; I've currently got an InCase Neoprene sleeve for my MBP, which I love, don't get me wrong, but I'm looking for something in addition to it. Basically what I want is a messenger bag capable of carrying my MBP (designed to carry a notebook, with added protection, etc) but with enough room for my other college supplies--books, notebooks, etc.

Any suggestions would be great. At the moment, I'm strongly considering the Brenthaven Edge II and just using my current bag in addition to the Edge, but I'd really rather have a more concise solution. Also, a quick question to Edge II owners: is the outside of the case hard? I kind of imagined it was, with a soft padded inside, but I may have been mislead.

2. Zianac macrumors member

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I've been using Tom Bihn's Super Ego recently and its amazing. I'm a college student and its gigantic, perfect for holding all kinds of stuff that you'll need. I used it the other day to carry all my textbooks (and if you're a student, you know that's a lot) from pickup at the bookstore plus a ton of other supplies I had bought half a mile back to my dorm, and the shoulder strap made it feel like I simply carrying my laptop around. I highly recommend the Super Ego or any of Tom Bihn's designs with the Absolute Shoulder Strap; the care in production and quality of materials used is unparalleled in what I've seen from other manufacturers. You'll pay a premium, its true, but you won't regret the decision once you start using it.

If you're looking for really good laptop protection, I would go with a Brain Cell also. I don't know about using it with the InCase sleeve since it would provide the same protection as the sleeve plus the extra protection of an impact barrier, and I think the sleeve would just be extraneous.

www.tombihn.com

4. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

5. Taylor C thread starter macrumors 6502a

After looking at all my options, I'm considering this. All the reviews I've read seem very good.

6. mBurns macrumors 6502

I prefer Timbuk 2 myself. I just picked up a XL Timbuk 2 messenger bag from REI for around 15-20% off because of their Labor Day sale.

7. kman79 macrumors regular

I agree with the Chromebags.

I use a Chromebag Metropolis and then use an AXIO Hard Sleeve. The hard sleeve is made with ABS plastic and the inside is formed foam that fits the MBP pretty well. I'm in nursing school and for those in the Health Care field, you guys know how thick and heavy those books can be. I've had zero issues or worries about my MBP being crushed with the combination I've noted above.

Here is the link to axio site: http://www.axio-usa.com/ Just click on products then laptop cases and select the hard sleeve to see details.

8. scorpus macrumors member

I also ordered a Crumpler messenger bag for my "Not Yet Shipped" MBP. I'll definitely receive the bag before my laptop.:rolleyes:

The bag I selected is here.
    www.crumplerbags.com

I decided upon it after reading a very good review of it in the current issue of MacLife. I needed something durable with plenty of room for books and notebook along with protection for my Mac.

scorp

9. pavvento macrumors 6502

10. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I like the briefcase style bags. I don't, however, like to advertise what I have in my bag and a briefcase screams laptop. Messenger bags or knapsack type bags seem much better at concealing the fact that there is an expensive piece of kit inside. And they are comfortable to carry around, too. :)

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

12. Sylar macrumors newbie

Sylar

I'm loving my Booq Bag. I got the Viper exoXL System, and love the build quality of the bag and viper sleeve. It looks and feels somewhat similar to a carbon fiber shell and sleeve. Quite original and aesthetically pleasing as well, IMHO.

http://booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.261/.f?sc=12&category=-112

13. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have the Timbuk2 commute and it is a perfect fit for a 15" macbook pro and some notebooks. If you carry a lot of large hardcover textbooks it's not as great but for the day to day stuff it's perfect, and not so overwhelmingly huge.

It's unfortunate I think the tom bihn bags are ugly as they are super well made.

The crome was too large and the crumpler was a weird style. You can even customize a timbuk2 laptop messenger with the colors and features you want.

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Another vote for Crumpler. They're hip, strong, have loads of space, weather proof and very very cool.

15. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Im leaning towards the commute from Timbuk2.
    I need a messenger bag that doesnt have to much bulk,and is top loading(no zipper to access macbook)
    Basically just to carry around a couple books, my macbook pro, my ipod, power cable, and maybe a few pens and accessories.
    If it cant fit that, Im not interested. at the same time i dont want it to be oversized though.

16. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

I totally love my Timbuk2 bag the notebook partition is courderoy lined :)

17. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

I just bought this bag at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/738876

At the store, it was the same price. Has a great inside bag for my MBP and lots of pockets for the extra stuff and books.

18. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

I will so sing the praises of Zappos.com. I ordered my bag at 10pm and the next day it was on my doorstep. They have free overnight shipping.