Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Hi,

Is there an app that works like WhatsApp (or similarly) where IPhone users and Blackberry users can use at the same time like WhatsApp?

Thank you!

hugecanoli

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
NJ
Check out pingchat. I've converted most of my friends and family to it, and best of all it's free.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Check out pingchat. I've converted most of my friends and family to it, and best of all it's free.

interesting, I hate specific app ID's though, whatsapp only needs the phone number that is stored in your contacts for that person and it automatically tells you which persons have the app and you can interact w/ them more easily. My guess is that pingchat is free now to increase their userbase and once is big enough they will start charging like all others...

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
AFAIK no... WhatsApp is the best and costs only a $1!

The only reason I don't like What'sApp is because it is generally slow on the Iphone4. I have a friend of mine that uses it and she says that it's slower than sending an SMS. Since I have a Blackberry, can anyone confirm this?

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
kik messenger, unless blackberry has banned it like they threatened to in the recent past. or google voice, which is free, uses standard SMS and thus is compatible with anything out there, not requiring your friends to have to start using/buy an app.

i just use SMS since it works with every phone.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
kik messenger, unless blackberry has banned it like they threatened to in the recent past. or google voice, which is free, uses standard SMS and thus is compatible with anything out there, not requiring your friends to have to start using/buy an app.

i just use SMS since it works with every phone.

Yeah but I am only needing it because the person I am messaging is overseas, and texting is expensive compared to a data plan.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The only reason I don't like What'sApp is because it is generally slow on the Iphone4. I have a friend of mine that uses it and she says that it's slower than sending an SMS. Since I have a Blackberry, can anyone confirm this?

that's weird, I use it to msj internationally too and there is no lag of response from either end...

JohnBossu

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Im using whatsapp on both my blackberry and iphone 4 and yes it is faster in blackberry than in iphone somehow, but the difference is not that significant tho

Jay4597

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012

I have a BlackBerry as well and so far it's working absolutely fine for me. It is, although, a wee bit slow but that is nothing to worry about. :)

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Viber works great for me (iPhone) and my GF (Android) since we're both on limited messaging plans. Available for Blackberry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.