Looking for a messenger bag

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FrankieTDouglas, Aug 18, 2010.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Well, my bag is starting to fall apart. I've been using it for six years now, but it's just starting to give in to the abuse I've put it through, so I'm looking for a replacement. I like the messenger bag form. My current bag is the Jansport Elefunk, for reference. I could just buy another one, but I want to upgrade in bag quality.

...But I'm super picky.

I've checked out random bag topics on this site. I've googled. I've found a few bags that are close in functionality. But still on the lookout for THE bag. I value functionality a lot with a bag. Essentials for a bag include...

- The outer flap has a zippered compartment built into the flap, for quick access to essential items.

- Water bottle holder.

- An outer, zippered storage compartment under the flap, against the main part of the bag.

- Preferably a few smaller zippered storage compartments in that area, as well.

- The interior of the bag has to be big enough to hold the size of a 15" laptop, in addition to 2 big biology books (for a general size reference).

- I'd prefer no "open" compartments. A lot of bags have pencil slots or etc on the inside exterior of the bag under the flap... wasted space, because it's too easy for things to fall out.

- And a strap on top of the bag, for easy carrying through the subway, a plane, or etc.

My bag goes with me everywhere, so it has to be highly functional for quick access yet easy to securely zip up. Often on short trips I'll just use this bag as the only bag for the trip, packing clothes, laptop, toiletries, etc in it. Then it turns around during the week and is my professional bag. Sometimes it multitasks as a camera bag in addition to day trip essentials. It doesn't need a laptop compartment... I have a custom-built cushioning system in my bag that is transferable that functions for this.

I'm looking to spend no more than $300 on a bag, but realize a good one that can fulfill what I'm looking for is also an investment. Any help would be wonderful.

2. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/home?gclid=CKbw7If9xKMCFUcz5wodli8sYg

Check out Timbuk2 bags. I use one everyday on my commute to work on my bike. I rarely take my computer to work so I don't really have a suggestion to the exact model you would find to pack a computer and associated computer things with it. Browse the website, I am sure that something will fit your needs without breaking the bank. I have used these bags for the last 8 years in the horrible weather conditions that plague the city of Chicago with no ill effects to the materials inside the said bags. Just have a look.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Gonzo, I really do like TimBuk2 as a company. I frequently second glance their bags to see what's available or if anything is new. Sadly, lack of exterior access and limited departments prevents me from pulling the trigger.

Abstract, doesn't need to look fancy. Functionality first.

5. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

A lot of people swear by Crumpler bags and I've seen many folks on here as well speak highly of their products. I got one at the GAP outlet a few years ago and it's held up remarkably well.