Looking for a mouse that doesn't require 3rd party drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aaargh!, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Aaargh! macrumors member

Aaargh!

I'm looking for an ergonomic mouse for use with my Mac with as many buttons as possible, at least 5, with the added difficulty that I don't want to have any 3rd party crap running in kernelspace.

At the moment I'm using a MX400 which is nice but requires Logitech's horrible driver to make all the buttons work. Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't mention if their mouse requires a special driver on their spec sheets.

Does anyone have a good suggestion ?

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

How do you plan on assigning functions to the buttons?? I'm pretty sure sure the Keyboard & Mouse preference won't recognize your mouse, which why every mouse comes with its own software (unless it's like a super cheap mouse with nothing to configure).

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Assigning special functions to buttons will probably require software for any mouse, but using the extra buttons of my five button Intellimouse Optical for Exposé and Spaces thankfully don't require any special driver. The supplied software is a mess that should never be installed anywhere.

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Odd, you shouldn't need any drivers at all for the extra mouse buttons to be recognized. My current mouse is a Logitech G5 and my previous one was an MX510 and neither required drivers for the mouse buttons to be recognized by the system; either in games or for setting spotlight/expose shortcuts. If you are going to be assigning 'special' or application-specific functions, there's no way around it, you will need some sort of driver.

5. Aaargh! thread starter macrumors member

Aaargh!

That's what I thought, not the case with the MX400.

I don't want special functions, I just want the buttons to be recognized as button 4, 5, 6 etc. (I want the extra buttons for expose and spaces)

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

When I bought my Logitech G5 without any research (saw it for a good price), I was freaking out when I saw that Logitech didn't have proper drivers for this mouse on Mac. Then I realised that all the buttons are simply 'mouse button #' in any program. The side to side scroll wheel on the G5 also works as it should (although practically useless, and makes the 3/wheel button too hard to press).

But for peripherals with certain functions that launch special scripts then you are out of luck.

What particular function of your MX400 doesn't work without drivers?

7. Aaargh! thread starter macrumors member

Aaargh!

The forward/backward buttons do not register as button 4/5.