Looking for a multi-user Photos/iPhoto replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeeYouEye, Dec 15, 2015.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Right now I've got a single iPhoto library sitting on a NAS, usable by one person on my network at a time. It's still an iPhoto library because we can't upgrade everyone to Yosemite just yet (so we haven't upgraded anyone). I'm looking for an app that has similar features to iPhoto or Photos in terms of library management (events, albums, thumbnails) and preferably (but not required) editing ability, but is architected to support the library living on a network share and is usable by multiple users simultaneously from different machines (supporting multiple users on the same machine via Fast User Switching would be a delightful bonus). Does anyone know of any apps like this? Hopefully something not too expensive?

It definitely needs to support two+ sessions adding photos, but it's fine if they can only be queued, not done simultaneously.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

How many is "everyone"?

Situations like this are quite often a fast-track to a corrupted library when you try and emulate an enterprise-grade function on the cheap.

3. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

With Lightroom you don't need to worry about a corrupted library; you just create another one and add all the photos to it.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Any App would work like that and that completely misses what the OP was asking for - you should probably have explained that more fully than the one word which implied LR would do what the OP wanted.

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I don't know if other programs would work like that. I'm talking about getting back all your editing, your ratings and your tags and keywords simply by importing the photos to another library. That's good enough to protect against corruption and allows working simultaneously on the same library. Lightroom does everything the OP wants.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Having seperate libraries isnt the same as several users working on the same library...

7. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Depends what you call a library. Do you have any ideas or are you just here to fight?