Looking for a NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skippymac, Feb 17, 2014.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a NAS/file server for use on my home network. I'm not averse to building my own/tinkering to get exactly what I want. Here's a list of thinks I need:

- Gigabit ethernet, I want the SATA connector/actual disk to be the bottleneck, which is a shame as I was considering a raspberry pi but it can only connect a drive by usb 2.

- Some provision for downloading torrents 24/7. I'd prefer something like deluge or utorrent on a linux server type setup but can settle for a proprietary system.

- Ability to use bit torrent sync or similar to backup the entire storage to a raspberry pi at a different location.

- Low power

- Needs to be able to connect to any OS

- Ideally I'd like to backup using time machine wirelessly or via ethernet, but I presume that shouldn't be a problem as it'll always be on the network.

Bonus points if:

- I can view/use the files over the internet

- Can connect to my android devices easily

- Has some other way to connect to computers e.g. USB 3.0 (Not even sure this is possible?)

Oh and also I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum! :p

Anyway the floor is yours, please let me know your suggestions, or if you know of any low power RPi type devices with gigabit ethernet and usb3/sata that would be even better!

2. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Having had a bit more of a look I think I'll go for some sort of Microsever (probably HP N54L - Thanks to Jurisprudence on another thread!) or maybe build my own with a mini its board.

Still open to other suggestions however, and also to advice on either of the solutions I mentioned above!

3. esskay macrumors 6502

I've been very pleased with my Synology, though I got a SOHO type of model so it's probably not the fastest on the market. Their systems and software are pretty well sorted out, so it does pretty much everything you mentioned -- time machine, has a torrent client which you can even get to remotely to initiate new d/ls, etc). My version has gigabit but doesn't have eSATA or USB3 connections though. Low power consumption too, which may be one challenge if you're rolling your own. I think most NAS units only connect via the network, otherwise they'd be direct attached storage. I haven't seen a hybrid, though maybe one exists?

4. NukeIT macrumors regular

Synology DS1513+ here and very happy with it.

It hits most of your high points. Not sure on the torrent stuff since that isn't my cup of tea. But it is basically a Linux box, so should be able to do it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd opt for a Synology or Qnap. I think either one provides turnkey solutions and both have a ton services.

6. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

You can have a BitTorrent Sync client on a Synology, as well as many clients for Torrents or NZB, and you don't even need a recent model.
    I'm using a DS212j which is one of the cheapest and I'm running 24/7 a Torrent/NZB client (Synology Download Station), a BitSync client, a Git server, a personal cloud (Synology CloudStation), an AirPrint emulator, a dozen automatic backup tasks to local HDs and Amazon S3, in addition to sharing files with 2 WD TV live streamer, 3 Sonos streamer, 2 Macs, 1 PC.
    I'm sure you could do the same with Qnap.

7. Crazy Badger, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

FreeNAS running on a HP N54L will do all you want for less money and more power than most Synology solution.

That said, it also won't be as straight forward to set-up but once it is you'll have learned some new stuff and you'll have a pretty rock-solid enterprise quality NAS.

Make sure you give it 16GB RAM and if I were building one again, I'd have splashed the extra cash for 4x4TB drives (instead of the 4x3TB drives I have in my N40L)

Good luck :D

8. Steelseries macrumors member

9. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Went this route in the end! I've just received the N54L today and have 2x2TB drives in RAID 0 at the moment. I intend to get 2 more and do RAID 1+0 for 4TB with redundancy. I don't need that much storage at the moment, and want to be able to back up the whole machine, so this way I only need 12TB of driver (8TB for the server 4 for the backup) instead of 32TB! :p

Will upgrade the ram at some point.

I've got samba running for the share and time machine hacked together, but thinking of going to CCC (making a thread about this in a sec to ask about features) just because the time machine feels a bit too hacked for me, not very secure!

I haven't set up any torrent stuff yet due to restrictions on my uni network but will do when I move out in a few months.

I like to think I'm fairly computer savvy, doing electronic engineering at uni, but this is all great practice with linux.

Next step is to build my gaming PC and get that sorted.

And then when I upgrade to a rMBP I'll probably do it all again to get the partition sizes just right! :p I do love tinkering!

10. AlexEng macrumors newbie

Personally I have a Synology 1512+. I love it.

The DSM software is great for setting everything up and managing the device.

Not sure what torrent stuff you need, put you can download a package that's a download station and a corresponding google chrome extension. So basically when you click a magnet link in your browser it automatically starts the download on the NAS. A pretty small feature - but I use it a lot.

They can get pretty pricey but are well worth the money in my opinion. You stated that you didn't want to build a NAS yourself and I had the same mentality - too much work and trouble. The synology runs well and I cannot describe how great the DSM software is for managing all the features.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

Gigabit is going to be your bottleneck with any modern drive. If you don't want the network to be the bottleneck then you need to step it up to 10Gbps Ethernet.

12. twitch31 macrumors regular

Stay away from ARM powered NAS devices then, CPU is the bottleneck in those,. you need a NAS with a x86 CPU.