Looking for a Nero type of program for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rhymes, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Rhymes macrumors newbie

Right now i'm just looking for a software to burn cds/dvds. I'm not really into ripping or re-encoding stuff yet just basic software to burn. I've checked up on Toast 9 but I'm hearing alot more negatives than positives. Any suggestions or is Toast really the best option? Price is of no concern as i need this type of software asap. I realize that this may have been brought up a million times but i cant seem to find it on the forums so if u could post a link that would be greatly appreciated as well :)

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What type of CDs/DVDs will you be creating?

If it is just simple data and music then you can do this in Finder or iTunes nd it is already built in.

If you are looking to do more complex things then Toast is what most would suggest. I don't have experience with Toast 9 so can't given an opinion on that but I do have Toast 8 and have found it to be very solid at what I need it for.

There are other applications out there but a more detail description of what you need to do will help in trying to find the best solution for you.

4. Rhymes thread starter macrumors newbie

its mainly for burning my mp3s onto dvd's because i have a huge library and want to stop keeping the original cd's in my car with them getting scratched all the time. But also it will be for burning movies to dvd as well once i start to backup my dvd collection now that i've changed to blu-ray.

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Toast is probably your best solution. Should cost about the same as Nero, and it works wonderfully. HOWEVER, unless you are doing things either REALLY legit or REALLY illegal in your backup of your DVD's and such, it has a tendency to say "this looks like a copyrighted movie. sorry, no can do" when you try to burn. So, it will work for most stuff, but is a royal pain for the questionably legal (in some people's eyes) world of backing hard copies up. You might be stuck with the Finder or another program for movies then, and I'm don't really know of any other software that does blu-ray at the moment, at least.

6. Queso macrumors G4

If you're only interested in burning disks don't waste your money on Toast. Instead use the open-source Burn

7. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Like you I thought I needed a replacement for Nero when I got my first Mac and bought Toast 8. Works great but then I found out that Itunes does just as good for MP3's and IDVD burns dvd's just as good or better, and both are already on your Mac.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought Toast 7 initially too, but I hardly ever use it any more for the same reasons.