Looking for a new cell phone (No iPhone)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rodimus Prime, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Ok so I am reaching the point of upgrading my cell phone. My current one is having a lot of issues on it and well it is old.

The phone must able to work on ATT.
    I do not want an iPhone so please do not suggest it. It is not that I do not like the iPhone but it is just not for me.

Requirments.
    1.) I want it to be a Smart phone.
    2.) I want a physical keyboard.
    3.) must work on ATT.
    4.) 3G would be nice but not a requirement.

I have look at the blackberry Bold and it has my attention partly because of blackberry messenger. ATT kind of screwed everything up because they did a price drop on the Bold during June and then turn around in July and raised the prices back up.

Any help would be really nice.

Thank You

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I saw somewhere that Amazon was selling the Bold for $50 with a new/extended two year contract....

And it's 3G not G3

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Blackberry Curve would be something I'd recommend. It's a decent phone that I use for work.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If I had those requirements I'd get a Treo Pro.

Great no frills smart phone.

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'd get the Bold. I'm actually looking into getting one once my contract qualifies for an early upgrade.

6. cjackson951 macrumors newbie

cjackson951

Looking for new cell phone??

I initially purchased an iPhone 3g and later returned it. I just could not get comfortable with the interface. I finally settled on the Nokia E71x with AT&T. I has all the requirements you listed and can be had for cheap.

If $$ is not an issue, just buy an unlocked Nokia e71 (that's what I'd do given another chance).

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Except the Treo Pro is not subsidized...might not be enough bang for your buck then.

OP:

The Samsung Jack, the Nokia E71x, or the blackberry bold would all be good choices for you.

8. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I personally hate BlackBerries. The OS is boring and not very useful. Not to mention that trackball, while cool and all, makes scrolling through long pages very tiring. With a regular D-pad, you can just hold the down button and it will scroll, whereas on the BlackBerry trackpad, you have to repeatedly scroll the ball.

I'd go with the Samsung Epix.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. jii008 macrumors newbie

Samsung Blackjack

You can find the samsung blackjack for $9.99 (including shipping) with a new 2 year contract. Visit www.ZoharTelecom.com Over 90% of their phones are free, including blackberry, lg and other smartphones Best J

11. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have looked at the Samsung jack in person a while ago. It does not seem to measure up in unsaleable as well as the Blackjack and the blackjack just has other limitation on it.

Right now I believe the bold my be my front runner.

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

The bold is a really nice phone.

Just do not, under any circumstances, buy an Epix. AT&T horribly screwed it up with a round of software fixes that caused new bugs, and Samsung's subsequent "fix" failed too.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nokia e71x(the one AT&T sells)

Although I'd also look at the e63 unlocked, because I've heard AT&T screwed around with the E71 to make it the e71. Or if money is less of an issue a e72 or unlocked e71