Looking for a new e-mail service

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by djr7572, Mar 7, 2014.

1. djr7572 macrumors regular

This might be in the wrong forum, I'm not sure. Hopefully this question will make sense. It's a little wonky, I admit.

I'm looking to change e-mail clients/service. I was using my Cable company (Comcast), then I switched over to GMail, which I'm finding I don't like at all. Trying to "cut the cord" completely with Google services as much as possible. Plus, I'm finding that I can't stand the user interface and functionality of GMail.

I guess what I'm asking is this - I want to be fully entrenched into Apple's ecosystem. I have an iMac desktop and an iPhone, so it just makes sense to use something that will work seamlessly with iOS. What e-mail client/service fits this description? I suppose after GMail you're left with the usual popular webmail services - Yahoo, Hotmail, etc .... but what really works the best with Apple?

Odd question, I know ... but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I imagine you'll get the best integration with Apple services with Apple's own email service.

iCloud.com

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

ummm.... iCloud?

4. djr7572 thread starter macrumors regular

5. pigbrother macrumors newbie

pigbrother

Outlook.com: push-sync for mail, contacts, calendar and reminders via Exchange Active Sync, which is compatible with every mobile operating system.

6. Altis macrumors 68000

I'm not really sure how icloud works better than Gmail or Outlook.

Unless someone can illustrate why, they all use more or less the same idea.

None of them will let you have attachments on a reply in iOS 7 ;)

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Outlook.com on mac mail is not so good with their implementation of IMAP. I always have to "erase deleted items" in mac mail for the sync to happen back to iOS devices.

8. iHackPro macrumors regular

Personally, I use iCloud email on all of my devices and have no problems. Before that though, I did use Gmail with no complaints.

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I understand getting rid of any Google services but just because you use GMAIL you don't have to use Google email client (web based or any). And you can configure it to work very much like other emails.

I'm not sure any of the vendor email implementations are better than other email clients. The problems with GMAIL are things like not doing push to native IOS email etc.

I'm not sure many are much better than any other. You are better off without a local cable provider's email in case you move into an area where they don't provide service and then you'd have to change email

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

After years of frustration with Gmail and especially with the recent problems using the native mail app with it under Mavericks, I made the switch to Fastmail. It's not free, but it truly lives up to its name. They use a standard implementation of IMAP and downloading mail and synching on all of of Macs and IOS devices is lightening fast. Their web client is pretty good as well. They also have a tool to automatically bring all of your folders/mail from Gmail. I had about 150,000 or more messages and it came over beautifully.

Highly recommended.

11. djr7572, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

djr7572 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, everybody. Decided to go with iCloud. The issue I had with GMail was that the design/layout of it seemed really clunky and convoluted. That's the best way I can put it ... kind of typical to a Google service I guess. I don't use email that much anyway, so it's not too big of a deal.

Those of you using iCloud for email - what have you noticed is the biggest drawback/disadvantage (if any)? I'm sure it will meet my needs just fine as I'm a pretty light email user anyway.

12. zone23 macrumors 68000

Yep since I'm invested with Apple right now I use iCloud as well. I too got as far away from google as possible.

13. djr7572 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's what I figured, too. Given the fact that all of my stuff is Apple, might as well use their stuff - just makes everything easier and more streamlined :apple:

14. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

Gmail has always integrated well with my Apple devices.

15. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've never liked the way gmail handles mail. Since I now have a Mac, iPad, and iPhone, iCloud works very well.

16. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The only reason I keep my Gmail accounts is 90% of my family still has those addresses (yes, I have 5 Gmail accounts, find out why in a second) and not my iCloud and my YouTube channels. Otherwise, I probably won't use Google.