Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Alright, I have a dilemma about which iPod to get. I currently have a 31GB music collection that is constantly growing. Unfortunately, my 1st gen ipod video is only 30GB

Because of the size of my library, the ipod touch is out of the question. So that leaves the ipod classic. My question is: Should I get a 120GB classic, a (used) 180GB classic, or should I hold out until the next rev (if any) of the classic is released?

What do you guys think?

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Alright, I have a dilemma about which iPod to get. I currently have a 31GB music collection that is constantly growing. Unfortunately, my 1st gen ipod video is only 30GB

Because of the size of my library, the ipod touch is out of the question. So that leaves the ipod classic. My question is: Should I get a 120GB classic, a (used) 180GB classic, or should I hold out until the next rev (if any) of the classic is released?

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't hold out for a new classic; I don't think it will be updated. There was recently a report that the iPod size HDs are in less demand. We know that Apple has transitioned more and more to flash.

There is always an outside chance they will release a 64GB iPod Touch, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that either.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Wait and buy the largest capacity one you can afford. Your collection can literally grow overnight if you start getting into videos :eek:

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
My question is: Should I get a 120GB classic, a (used) 180GB classic, or should I hold out until the next rev (if any) of the classic is released?

Just to point out that the largest iPod Classic had a 160GB drive.

I would just get a 120GB iPod Classic new now. If you only use the iPod for music then you probably would not be interested in an iPod Touch regardless of whether they release a 64GB version in September. Even then 64GB is probably not going to last you long if your music collection continues to grow.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wouldn't hold out for a new classic; I don't think it will be updated. There was recently a report that the iPod size HDs are in less demand. We know that Apple has transitioned more and more to flash.

There is always an outside chance they will release a 64GB iPod Touch, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that either.

I pretty much agree with that. However, I'd suggest that you wait until September to see what will be released and then, if there is nothing new or updated on the classic line (which is what I suspect given that all development seems to be geared towards flash drives), go for a new 120GB classic, or hope for a 64GB touch to be unveiled. Moreover, if anything new is unveiled, it is entirely possible that prices of existing models, including the classic, will come down further in September.

Last year, as I travel a lot, and my old 30GB iPod was almost three years old and about to expire, I replaced it first, with both a 80GB and later added a 120GB as well as a backup.

Cheers and good luck

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Yeah I'll probably wait until September before I make a purchase...this also give me time to sell my 2nd gen 8gb touch :D

If there isn't an update, hopefully there will at least be a price drop on the classics

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.