Looking for a new modem and wireless router...help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zagato27, Jul 24, 2009.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I've been having trouble lately with my internet...I'm on Comcast. FYI, I've got a Motorola wireless cable modem gateway SBG 900. We have a G5, an iBook, PC and an XBox and a PS3 that share the wireless connection. Anyway, seems that the internet would just die on me. This has been happening for about two weeks. I'd have to power off the modem and repower, sometimes multiple times to regain the internet. The boys complain that the same thing happens when using their PS3 and XBox too. Called Comcast and they said that they weren't having any problems in my area. They also said that since it was my own gear they really couldn't help me. Well, I'm looking new equipment. I kind of like the idea of a "gateway"...modem and wireless router combined but don't want to purchase another SBG900. I've heard good things about the Linksys CM100 cable modem and it is on Comcast's supported list and it's pretty cheap....~$60. I need some help with the wireless router. I want something that is Mac friendly and relatively inexpensive. At the moment I don't think I can take advantage of the new "n"standard. I believe that you have to have a wireless card that has "n" capability.....right? Any recommendations would be great. Also, if you can point me to a site that offers reviews (I've been looking at Cnet) that too would be helpful. Oh yes, I have searched these forums too but they seem a bit dated. Thanks in advance.

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

to take advantage of the N speeds yes you but N is completely backwards compatible-meaning that you have B or G hardware then it will work but only at said speed. As for routers that are mac friendly-most are in general with the exception of the setup. PCMag and PCWorld are other places to check out.

As for devices, can you clarify relatively inexpensive? A price range would help. Would you be willing to spend like 150?

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

those motorola surboard or whatever comcast gives us is garbage. I have had mine for over 2 years, and it needs reseting every day. The router is brand new.

I bought the Linksys WRT160N V2. I have been very happy with it. It is more stable than the WRT54G V8 that i DDWRT'd. As far as i know, they still havent DDWRT'd the 160, but i havent checked in 3 weeks or so...

4. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

I just looked at the Linksys WRT160N. I liked it in that it was Mac friendly and also liked the clean look...no antennas and low profile. I also looked at the Belkin N+....same price as the Linksys but has external antennas it does have gigabit ports though. Hmmm, don't plan on hooking anything up directly to the router so probably not a +. What is "DDWRT"????

Modems. I think I may have found one. Not the Linksys CM100 but the Motorola SBG6120...it supports the newer DOCSIS 3.0 standard.

My SBG900 is up to it's old tricks. Again this am it was offline. Tried resetting it twice then went out to get a haircut and check out gear at Best Buy (I only LOOK at BB, never buy). Got back this afternoon and it was up and running. Man, think I'd better order my stuff now while I have internet:eek: Thanks for the help. Cheers