Looking for a new phone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by guitargoddsjm, Nov 30, 2008.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Hey all, I'm looking for a new phone under AT&T. It's most likely going to be a Christmas gift, so I don't want anything too expensive (e.g., on the extreme end, the Sony Ericcson Xperia X1) - probably under $300, $200 if possible (keep in mind that I'd be upgrading and extending my plan).

I currently have the Sony Ericcson W580i, and it's been great for texting and calls. It's also survived quite a few drops. I'd really like to move forward and get a phone that has full internet capabilities (a la the iPhone), email, pic/video messaging, GPS, etc.

Hardware wise, I'd really like a decent sized touch screen, and almost definitely a slide-out, physical keyboard. I say "almost" because I'm still considering the iPhone.

Some of the phones I've considered are the iPhone 3G, the HTC Fuze, the AT&T Tilt, the LG Incite, the Samsung Eternity, the UTStarcom Quickfire, and the LG Vu.

I really like the iPhone (mainly the touchscreen, internet, and apps), but I don't know if I like it's lack of picture/video messaging or its touch keyboard.

I mainly use my school's email (Exchange) and Gmail, so I'd like a device that'd play friendly with those accounts, and something that'd play friendly with my mac.

Anyways, this was a super long post. Give me some recommendations.

*edit: I'm not so sure about Blackberrys. My mom and girlfriend have them (pearl and curve, respectively). The interface of the Bold seems WAY nicer than that of the Curve, Pearl, etc, but I can't stand the tiny keyboard.

2. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I had an iPhone and I sold it in favor of a Blackberry Bold. I was used to the Blackberry since I had a Curve before my iPhone, but it's all a matter of preference. The novelty of the touchscreen wore off very quickly for me, and I'm really enjoying my Bold now. Gmail works beautifully it as well.

3. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

Read edit

4. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I don't have bear hands or anything, but I never found the keyboard to be small. The interface is much improved on the Bold compared to the Curve (I've had both). The keyboard is really my favorite part of the phone, except for the screen.

Plus it looks pretty nice. :D

[​IMG]

Obviously I'm a big fan of the Bold, I bought it on release day and I'm still loving it.

5. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't really gotten a chance to test drive it yet, so I guess it's still an option. I really like how it looks though. Very slick.

6. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

BlackBerry pwnds the iphone hands down...

Then again my love goes like this...

BlackBerry
    Apple
    Linux
    Microsoft

7. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

If you're an iPod person, then definitely get the iPhone. None of the other options can replace a MP3/Media player adequately. IMO, there are no better all-in-one advice than the iPhone, and it has a great UI. Because of the apps store, the iPhone are capable of so much more. It's also a great little gaming device for the casual gamer. However, if you just want the phone/PDA function, then iPhone may not be the best choice. The iPhone will be the easiest to work with your Mac though.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have spent a lot of time looking over the selection of phones from AT&T. I currently have an iPhone and really STILL don't love it. Some people really like the sony-Ericksons, but their not for me. I have a few issues with the blackberries the first is I don't like the software, and secondly a lot of the internal componants are really cheap and lack quality control (This is the fault of the chip manifactures). Although I LOVE the blackberries avalible in the produce section at the local market.

I guess I am really no help on the matter, sorry.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm using the Motorola Q9 Global from at&t. The keyboard is fantastic on it, I really like it.

10. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone had any experience the HTC Fuze or HTC Touch Pro? (They're the same phone, just different carriers)

I've heard it's pretty good. It runs WM 6.1 professional, and has mobile office (which may come in handy for me; I'm going into college next year)

11. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

My brother, has the older version I think... It sucks, always crashing and restarting. Can't understand him on the phone and I don't think HTC has 3G? Correct me, because I would like to know.

12. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

The Fuze/Touch Pro has 3G. It's also supposed to have a really nice display...

13. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

14. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Get a BlackBerry, any BlackBerry, they just work. If it makes you happy get an iPod Touch as well :D

15. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Hugs my BlackBerry... Not many BlackBerry lovers out there, so show your love.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A friend of mine just got the LG Renoir and that seems to be very capable, nothing like the quality of interface of the iPhone but it's a nice alternative. Even if it does require a stylus.