Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punktilend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hey guys, im on the market for a new all in one wireless printer. My problem is that I have no clue about printers and I have heard that HP are very good printers especially for macs. Are there any recommendations someone can make to me? Thanks either way.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Ink or Laser based?

And I'd stay away from HP. Their consumables are high priced, set to expire (chipped - will quit even if not fully used once the date passes), and the software sucks.

punktilend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I was thinking Ink and with my budget thats probably what it will be is ink. Thanks for the info on the HP's

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...look at Brother models, I have a 7840w on my network and have been really happy with it... its B&W laser and I have a small color inkjet for the rare times I "want" to print in color...

The best part is Brother consumables are very reasonable compared to other brands...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I was thinking Ink and with my budget thats probably what it will be is ink. Thanks for the info on the HP's
I'd second Brother, as they work quite well, and the consumables aren't horrible in costs either (I use one of their color AIO color lasers).

You might want to increase your budget if possible, as laser is less expensive to operate than inkjets, so the higher initial cost makes up for it.

If you didn't need AIO, you could look at the Samsung CLP-315 XAA, which is a home use color laser for ~$150USD. But it's missing the AIO features, and those will increase the price.

Please note, that a color laser is NOT suited for photographs. But it's fine for color charts for documents, presentations, web pages...

If your color printing is for photos, then you could also opt for both a color inket and monochrome laser (gives you the ability to get cheap B&W documents, and color photos). AIO features would only be needed in one of them. ;)

Too few details to help any further. :( But hopefully, it might get you started in the right direction. ;)

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Question on wireless scanning

I am also looking to replace a Canon MP830 all-in-one with possibly a wireless unit. I need the scanning support. Does that work well over the network under OSX? I've never done network-based scanning before.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I am also looking to replace a Canon MP830 all-in-one with possibly a wireless unit. I need the scanning support. Does that work well over the network under OSX? I've never done network-based scanning before.
Yes. :) The data is saved as a file (software pkg. that's included in the drivers). There's also 3rd party software that may offer more options (file types/conversions for example) if you need it.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
more questions on network scanning

Yes. :) The data is saved as a file (software pkg. that's included in the drivers). There's also 3rd party software that may offer more options (file types/conversions for example) if you need it.

And with the Brother AIO using network scanning, do you use Image Capture built into OSX or software provided by Brother on the CD-ROM? Are you able to use it just like you would with a USB scanner, including support for the auto document feeder (ADF), changing scan resolution, etc.?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
And with the Brother AIO using network scanning, do you use Image Capture built into OSX or software provided by Brother on the CD-ROM? Are you able to use it just like you would with a USB scanner, including support for the auto document feeder (ADF), changing scan resolution, etc.?
I use it more under Windows than OS X (mostly basic print here), but you'd have access to more of the settings if you use Brother's software IMO (it's actually a 3rd party application + drivers).

OS X = Presto! Page Manager (NewSoft)
Windows = PaperPort (Nuance)

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Brother 495cw all-in-one network printer and OSX 10.6.2

Thanks to this thread, I went out this weekend and bought a Brother 495cw inkjet all-in-one printer for under $100. It's a very small machine (significantly smaller than my Canon MP830) and setting it up under OSX 10.6.2 was easy as could be using the latest drivers from Brother's website. It connected wirelessly to my WPS (WiFi Protected Setup?) enabled router and was instantly available to the Mac for driver installation. It was actually easier to setup under OSX 10.6 than it was under Windows XP sp3 where I had to fiddle around and point to it by IP address rather than by network share name.

I have not scanned yet, but did verify the scanner at least does the low-resolution preview scan from over the network. Printing is relatively quick and the quality looks good.

But for anyone familiar with the tank-like build of the big Canon inkjets, the Brother 495cw seems a little flimsy and cheaply made. Just don't treat it rough and I'm sure it will be a good unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.