Looking for a new Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Odysee, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Odysee macrumors regular

Odysee

Hey guys - I'm looking for a new router with built in modem, I don't want a separate setup.

What brands and models are good? I was looking at some Netgear setups, I have a budget of around $100.

2. Winterfibre macrumors regular

3. idandavid macrumors newbie

I've had nothing but great experience with a tp-link archer C9 ac1900.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This will largely be dictated by what modem/router your ISP lists as compatible. Check your ISPs web site for a list then tell us and maybe we can help.

5. Odysee thread starter macrumors regular

Odysee

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

With the exception of Netgear and Cisco, most of those brands are not used much in the US (at least not that I am familiar with). Maybe start with those and look for models that have 802.11ac support to narrow it down. A lot of those look like older 802.11n devices.

Sorry I'm not more help.

7. Odysee thread starter macrumors regular

Odysee

It's okay dude, thank you very much anyway. I'll be sure to check.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2018 ---
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check these out!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Both of those mentioned are routers only without the modem.

9. IdentityCrisis Suspended

By only using the router with a built in modem, you limit yourself to not many and limit yourself to not being able to use much better ones outside the modem. Just an FYI.

10. Odysee thread starter macrumors regular

Odysee

Only issue is, I don't have a cable connection, (Cable not available in my area) - I only have a fibre connection, so a separate modem and router wouldn't work, unfortunately.

11. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Fibre?

Sounds like you need some kind of specialized modem/router setup (if you want to use an integrated unit).

What does your ISP provide you with now?
    Does it still work OK?

12. IdentityCrisis Suspended

That makes no sense. All ISPs even Fiber ones give you a modem that connects to the fiber network by either fiber or coax, then gives the user a Ethernet jack 1gb usually.

Then you connect your router into that 1gb jack.

13. Polo2883 macrumors regular

I would recommend Ubiquiti. I have it running in multiple locations with no problems.

14. Meatsuit macrumors newbie

Meatsuit

I have a few different Asus routers.There pretty easy to Upgrade the firmware to Merlin. I running a VPN client for all my locally connected devices and server for the remote things like accessing my Ip cameras away from home. Had been using a AC RT 68U for a few years but had a throughput issues with the Router trying to keep up with the encryption. Upgrade to the RC AT 87U. Really happy with this purchase. Wifi is really fast with a lot of devices connected. Fixed the bottleneck encryption issue with Openvpn. I can set up selective tunneling for items that a not happy with the vpn connection on the client side. That gives my time to figure out the problem and still use device. A kill switch if vpn goes down. Also with Asus there stock firmware lets you set up a mesh that works pretty good in most cases. So you can still use you the older router in a mesh. In my case Merlin firmware disables the AI Mesh. But setting up the 68U as a access point has works fine. I already pay the "Apple Tax" buying their expensive products. I'm not going to give Google with my info for free. Not a big Asus fan accept the routers have been working for me. Not so much with the monitors and motherboards on the PC side of things.