Looking for a new tv

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deanops, Oct 9, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

first question: is it appropriate to post in here?

i am looking at buying a tv (and also a ps3) but don't know what to go for... i am thinking sub $1000AUD at around 26"... i saw a samsung today at myer that looked stunning (it was white) and i am very tempted to buy it, but, as always, i have no idea about quality of tvs...

i think i need hdmi for the best(?) PS3 experience, so for the sake of future proofing, lets have that... anything else?

lets make it mac related by asking if i can hook my macbook up to it? and will i get good resolution doin this,...?

also, with the ps3, does the wireless controller come with a cable to charge? and also a hdmi cable?

thanks for any help...

i will also be in the market for a quality avr + speakers, or alternativly, a good home-theatre ina box

thanks again

2. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

can someone help me out here???

also, i have changed my mind from the samsung to the 26" Panasonic 70A (?) wat do you guys reckon???? anyone know a good place to buy??? (TEMPTED TO BUY FROM THE STATES with our current dollar)

and seriously

WII OR PS3??!?!?!?!?!

also, i busted a jamo speaker today - its a d130?! anyone know whether i should recoil it or but a better set off ebay??!?

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Not really, this is the Apple hardware section, the community discussion pages are probably better, maybe apple tv pages if you are asking about what tv goes best with apple tv

I personally prefer samsumgs over all other brands. Just go see what you like and what you can afford.

Yes you can hook up your macbook with a mini dvi->hdmi adaptor.

I would buy a Wii over PS3, much more fun :D

4. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

xan a mod please move this to an appropriate thread?????? thanks heaps! can you notify me if you do this? thanks a mill...

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

If your looking at TV's, your best bet is to go to avsforum.com. There is a UK equivalent to that, not sure what it is though.

You can get a good idea of what TV's are really good and which ones have issues.

I have a PS3 and its a great Blu-Ray player. We also play games, but its not the primary use of the machine.

As far as games, the PS3 hasn't hit a stride yet. If your a gamer, I doubt the Wii is going to do it for you. If your a casual gamer, the Wii is a lot of fun.

Apple TV works well with either Component input or HDMI.