Looking for a new uk web host

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by illustratorDavi, Jul 29, 2007.

1. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Hi

I currently have 2 web hosts - http://openmindhosting.co.uk/ and http://speedhosting.co.uk/

Open mind I use for my business portfolio and speedhosting I use for a separate blog and web developing.

Speedhosting has been down all weekend with no explanation and the server doesn't seem to be managed during the weekend. Openmind are much better but still have a few outages every month and are only windows based.

Can anyone suggest a good uk host ? I don't need a lot of space or bandwidth but need mysql databases and great support. I don't want to spend more than £100 a year if possible.

I'm considering http://www.eukhost.com/ because they seem to have great support with a cheap price and good spec.

Thanks
    David

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

3. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, i've seen mixed reviews of godaddy.

Would prefer a host with servers in the uk if i can

4. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I almost went with 1and1 UK but godaddy gave me a much better deal. Im very happy with godaddy and would recommend it. Great service never had any problems.

5. harveypooka macrumors 65816

A few people on these forums use Streamline and recommend them. I use them for a charity website and have no real complaints. Their technical support was very fast to respond and helpful.

6. Matteh117 macrumors regular

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Personally I use A Small Orange they are excellent and offer great customer care, they are really quick to respond to e-mails. Also because they are American they are cheaper due to the great exchange rate.

eDesignUK also uses them as well as many other members.

8. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys ... sorry about the late reply.

Yeah Streamline looks quite good - they seem to do some good deals, looks like they have just updated their site - looks cool.

Fasthosts is used by one of my clients, they do some funny security thinks that have caused me php problems before but they have a strong brand and have been going for ages. Think i'll take another look at them

Today i've also been looking at uk2.net

Thanks
    David

9. dcv macrumors G3

Why does it have to be in the UK?

I'm in the UK too and I also use A Small Orange. No complaints so far. I'm on their 'small' package which is plenty for my needs at the moment and only about £2.50 per month!!

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I currently use UKHosts with no problems, but I'm considering giving supanames.co.uk a try as they seem a lot cheaper.

11. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking it terms of support because UK hosts are in the same time zone as me. So for instance if the server needs rebooting i don't have to wait half a day with a dead server.

Also since the server is closer it got to have a faster connection.

12. dcv macrumors G3

Dunno about faster connection but ASO have 24/7 support, 365 days a year, so I'd say the time zone thing is a non-issue. A lot of people here do really recommend A Small Orange!

13. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Godaddy; don't they steel your domain name from you then sell it back to you at the end of the contract at ten or twenty times the price :mad:.

14. dumfweaver macrumors newbie

We have a reseller package with webfusion.co.uk with no real problems, always had a good tech and customer service from them - unlike uk2.net who we moved from because they were useless.

You have to buy new domain names through 123-reg.co.uk, their sister company, but transferring them across is simple.

15. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I am currently with 123reg.co.uk domains and hosting but I'm not happy with the service. I'd like to transfer everything to a decent firm, but obviously very important as some others steal the domain then sell it back. I want a little php service too.

16. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I'd highly recommend Rochen, particularly if you're needing good MySQL support. Amongst many others, they host the main joomla.org website itself and their support is excellent. They have UK and US server locations.

17. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

18. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify, Rochen only do hosting (and very well); not registration. But then I'd always keep registration separate from hosting anyway. I've used daily.co.uk for registration for UK domains.

19. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I'd stay clear of Fasthosts... quite possibly amongst the support services ever!

I currently use Vidahost and have done for about a year. Never had a single problem and not witnessed any downtime.

20. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I use fast2host, very friendly tech support that responds very quickly.

21. northerngit macrumors member

http://www.justhost.com

They have locations in the UK, US and Aus.

I host my girlfriend's Hockey Club website with them running the latest Joomla. No issues so far.

Cheap, great service, and unlimited space / bandwidth.

22. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

5quid hosts
    http://http://www.5quidhost.co.uk/

Are insanely cheap but offer a good service, saved loads of money this year using them.

Fasthost are the single worst company I've ever dealt with:(
    AVOID AVOID AVOID

23. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Fast2host or fasthosts or is there a fasthost, dang to many to confuse >.<

24. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'd say steer clear of Streamline.net - used them for a while and they never came across quite good enough.

I do recommend Heart Internet though - I've had nothing but good service and quality from them for several years. Based in the UK.

/Doug

25. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

Yes sorry, its Fasthosts that I would avoid like the plague I have no knowledge of fast2host.