Looking for a new uk web host

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Hi

I currently have 2 web hosts - http://openmindhosting.co.uk/ and http://speedhosting.co.uk/

Open mind I use for my business portfolio and speedhosting I use for a separate blog and web developing.

Speedhosting has been down all weekend with no explanation and the server doesn't seem to be managed during the weekend. Openmind are much better but still have a few outages every month and are only windows based.

Can anyone suggest a good uk host ? I don't need a lot of space or bandwidth but need mysql databases and great support. I don't want to spend more than £100 a year if possible.

I'm considering http://www.eukhost.com/ because they seem to have great support with a cheap price and good spec.

Thanks
David

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Hi

I currently have 2 web hosts - http://openmindhosting.co.uk/ and http://speedhosting.co.uk/

Open mind I use for my business portfolio and speedhosting I use for a separate blog and web developing.

Speedhosting has been down all weekend with no explanation and the server doesn't seem to be managed during the weekend. Openmind are much better but still have a few outages every month and are only windows based.

Can anyone suggest a good uk host ? I don't need a lot of space or bandwidth but need mysql databases and great support. I don't want to spend more than £100 a year if possible.

I'm considering http://www.eukhost.com/ because they seem to have great support with a cheap price and good spec.

Thanks
David
A few people on these forums use Streamline and recommend them. I use them for a charity website and have no real complaints. Their technical support was very fast to respond and helpful.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Personally I use A Small Orange they are excellent and offer great customer care, they are really quick to respond to e-mails. Also because they are American they are cheaper due to the great exchange rate.

eDesignUK also uses them as well as many other members.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Thanks guys ... sorry about the late reply.

Yeah Streamline looks quite good - they seem to do some good deals, looks like they have just updated their site - looks cool.

Fasthosts is used by one of my clients, they do some funny security thinks that have caused me php problems before but they have a strong brand and have been going for ages. Think i'll take another look at them

Today i've also been looking at uk2.net

Thanks
David

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Why does it have to be in the UK?

Personally I use A Small Orange they are excellent and offer great customer care, they are really quick to respond to e-mails. Also because they are American they are cheaper due to the great exchange rate.

eDesignUK also uses them as well as many other members.
I'm in the UK too and I also use A Small Orange. No complaints so far. I'm on their 'small' package which is plenty for my needs at the moment and only about £2.50 per month!!

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Why does it have to be in the UK?

I'm in the UK too and I also use A Small Orange. No complaints so far. I'm on their 'small' package which is plenty for my needs at the moment and only about £2.50 per month!!
I'm thinking it terms of support because UK hosts are in the same time zone as me. So for instance if the server needs rebooting i don't have to wait half a day with a dead server.

Also since the server is closer it got to have a faster connection.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I'm thinking it terms of support because UK hosts are in the same time zone as me. So for instance if the server needs rebooting i don't have to wait half a day with a dead server.

Also since the server is closer it got to have a faster connection.
Dunno about faster connection but ASO have 24/7 support, 365 days a year, so I'd say the time zone thing is a non-issue. A lot of people here do really recommend A Small Orange!

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
England
Godaddy; don't they steel your domain name from you then sell it back to you at the end of the contract at ten or twenty times the price :mad:.

dumfweaver

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
We have a reseller package with webfusion.co.uk with no real problems, always had a good tech and customer service from them - unlike uk2.net who we moved from because they were useless.

You have to buy new domain names through 123-reg.co.uk, their sister company, but transferring them across is simple.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
England
I am currently with 123reg.co.uk domains and hosting but I'm not happy with the service. I'd like to transfer everything to a decent firm, but obviously very important as some others steal the domain then sell it back. I want a little php service too.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I'd highly recommend Rochen, particularly if you're needing good MySQL support. Amongst many others, they host the main joomla.org website itself and their support is excellent. They have UK and US server locations.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Just to clarify, Rochen only do hosting (and very well); not registration. But then I'd always keep registration separate from hosting anyway. I've used daily.co.uk for registration for UK domains.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I'd stay clear of Fasthosts... quite possibly amongst the support services ever!

I currently use Vidahost and have done for about a year. Never had a single problem and not witnessed any downtime.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
<snip>
Yeah Streamline looks quite good - they seem to do some good deals, looks like they have just updated their site - looks cool.
<snip>
I'd say steer clear of Streamline.net - used them for a while and they never came across quite good enough.

I do recommend Heart Internet though - I've had nothing but good service and quality from them for several years. Based in the UK.

/Doug